Ms261ce refund?

Guss109

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you ever done that successfully?

With a washing machine, yes. 12 month warranty on it, had a circuit board replaced at 9 months. At 14 months old it broke down. Wrote to supplier and manufacturer stating that the £500 washing machine was not fit-for-purpose and not of merchantable quality if it lasted barely any longer than the 12m warranty without breaking down for a second time (quoted various statements from trading standards). The supplier replaced it with different model, same value.

If you browse the 'consumer direct' web site, you will see that even if something is outside of manufacturer warranty, you can still get refunds if it's crap.

We have had a few problems (not loads) with the sprocket and bearing on the 261. If you change the sprocket to a rim sprocket and bearing it won't go wrong again. They will do this under warranty for you.

Hope this helps.

I'm making a note

You have been great in this- no complaints at all with your service- you even fixed it last time while I waited.

It's stihl issues and I hope you let them know what a big problem they have.

Out of interest- would you offer a refund/ exchange if it happens again- (would be the third time)

You should realise that a washing machine is usually a consumer purchase. A saw sold to an arb business is not. It's B2B and there are no such protections. In B2B the terms are set up in the contract and your recourse is court if the supplier does not come up to your expectations.

Of course, most suppliers will want to help you out and get it sorted but beware of confusing consumer rights with business purchases.

You should realise that a washing machine is usually a consumer purchase. A saw sold to an arb business is not. It's B2B and there are no such protections. In B2B the terms are set up in the contract and your recourse is court if the supplier does not come up to your expectations.

Of course, most suppliers will want to help you out and get it sorted but beware of confusing consumer rights with business purchases.

If a manufacturer like Stihl states they have a 12 month commercial warranty (which they do) and the product doesn't live up to the durability that the manufacturer claims, then surely that is misleading? And what about a sole-trader, self-employed subbie or whatever - isn't that person a consumer?

If a product fails within a "reasonable period of time" which-excluding certain items, such as perishable goods- is deemed to be 28 days then a comsumer is entitled to a full refund if they so wish (a lot of manufacturers either don't understand this, or try to turn a blind eye to it)- however should a consumer accept a repair or replacement then the option at a later date of a refund is forefeitted. Safety recalls and re-working re calls are exempted.

If a product fails within a "reasonable period of time" which-excluding certain items, such as perishable goods- is deemed to be 28 days then a comsumer is entitled to a full refund if they so wish (a lot of manufacturers either don't understand this, or try to turn a blind eye to it)- however should a consumer accept a repair or replacement then the option at a later date of a refund is forefeitted. Safety recalls and re-working re calls are exempted.

Our saw originally failed about one week from purchase- I was happy to accept a repair because you do don't you & not wanting to be an arse. So you're saying that if a product fails within 1 month that you should stick out for a refund- accept no repair just in case it happens again.

I'm making a note

You have been great in this- no complaints at all with your service- you even fixed it last time while I waited.

It's stihl issues and I hope you let them know what a big problem they have.

Out of interest- would you offer a refund/ exchange if it happens again- (would be the third time)

The trouble with a refund is Stihl won't take it back from us so we end up with a second hand saw. We will make sure we look after you and the saw.:001_smile:

The trouble with a refund is Stihl won't take it back from us so we end up with a second hand saw. We will make sure we look after you and the saw.:001_smile:

Interested to know what happens to these second hand saws Justin. Are they fixed and sold on, do they end up on ebay?:sneaky2:

Honest answer is I've only had to refund one saw and that was not a problem one. I had 1 account customer that managed to wind up anyone he spoke to, he caught me on a wrong day and I closed his account and slung him out, told him to never come back and return everything that's unpaid or pay it. Silly boy as he was the closest customer to our new place, he has tried to come back but he won't get served.

Every time he came in, he spoke to my staff like dirt and put a right downer on the whole day.