Neatly stacking logs

kev7937

......... With firewood however the transport of water is so much faster through the ends than through the section that it makes no odds.

Alec

Did you read that somewhere - if so please stick a link up - because as far as I am concerned it does not match experience - sorry.

If I cut large section timber into 10-12 inch lengths I can leave it for months and when I split it, it is still full of sap.

Quite simply - the smaller you split it - the faster it dries

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you read that somewhere - if so please stick a link up - because as far as I am concerned it does not match experience - sorry.

If I cut large section timber into 10-12 inch lengths I can leave it for months and when I split it, it is still full of sap.

Ditto

Thought I read some where timber dries an inch every 6 months so a large ring that is 12 in thick will take years whereas if its 12in X 4in will be near on dry in a year.

Isn't it going to be different depending on circumstances? The smaller they are, the quicker they'll dry, sure, and if you're selling them you need the throughput, etc. But if they're for your own use, keep them the size you want them and let time take its course. And neat stacking is space efficient too.

My experience is also that wood split thinner will dry out a lot quicker. I've got a 9" thick ring of willow (about 20" diameter) that's been sitting in my garden for a year or so - it's still sopping wet. Wood from the same tree that was split into logs dried out in a few months.

• 10 months later...

IME it's not so much the stack as the location. Plenty of wind on it will suck it dry. I have an alley at the side of the house where the wind whistles through. Logs dry in no time. And I mean dry- from 35% to 18% in a month I reckon. If you don't split them before stacking they are near impossible to split with an axe.

IME it's not so much the stack as the location. Plenty of wind on it will suck it dry. I have an alley at the side of the house where the wind whistles through. Logs dry in no time. And I mean dry- from 35% to 18% in a month I reckon. If you don't split them before stacking they are near impossible to split with an axe.

Trouble is I'm limited for areas to store here in suburban Surrey and that was from about 7ft up well above the fence so it should catch all the available breeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk