New Towing Regs - Jan 2013

Johnnyboxer

Why not, trailers under 3500kg arent subject to any test so provided you stay within the design weights what's to stop you?

when a trailer gets downplated the serial number is logged with the new plated weight

Where that info is sent I have absolutely no idea

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your chipper is unbraked and has a MAM of under 750kg' date=' so you are ok to tow it and load the truck up to a GVW of 3500kg.

If you towed a chipper over 750kg, you would have to subtract its weight from your 3500kg truck MAM and see what you had left for payload of chips - Not very much!!!

Thats why most of the popular chipper manufacturers offer sub-750kg chippers nowadays to fit within the regs.

ROG. This is the bit I,ve been wondering. Can you take of the towing vehicles gross weight and use that to increase the trailer weight with a post 97 licence as long as the whole train weight doesn,t exceed 4250kg? Thanks

Your chipper is unbraked and has a MAM of under 750kg' date=' so you are ok to tow it and load the truck up to a GVW of 3500kg.

If you towed a chipper over 750kg, you would have to subtract its weight from your 3500kg truck MAM and see what you had left for payload of chips - Not very much!!!

Thats why most of the popular chipper manufacturers offer sub-750kg chippers nowadays to fit within the regs.[/quote']

I'm a post 97 lad :)

My iveco is a 3.5t tipper and its gtw is 6000kg.

All i have to tow really is a timberwolf 150 which timber wolf states is 737kg or 748kg..... so i'm ok to to this i think....

With the post 97 licence does that mean i can only tow it and not have a load on the back as that will take me over the gvw?

I hate seeing these threads appear, as people say one thing then the other.... and you don't know who to listen too....

should i just say bugger it and go book my trailer test B+E? and forget about this SILLY topic once and for all?

I have been giving the correct advice on this issue for some time and the admin on this site have made a sticky of my main post on the rules

Getting B+E is a one off financial outlay and basically lasts for life

Just to add on to the answer already given - the rules state that a 3500 GVW vehicle can tow 750 kgs on a B licence making a total of 4250 kgs but the moment that trailer goes over 750 kgs MAM (not actual) weight then the 3500 kgs total cuts in

To make that simple - any B only licence holder with a vehicle between 2750 and 3500 MAM can only tow a trailer of 750kgs

ROG. This is the bit I,ve been wondering. Can you take of the towing vehicles gross weight and use that to increase the trailer weight with a post 97 licence as long as the whole train weight doesn,t exceed 4250kg? Thanks

I think I just answered that in the post above a few seconds ago - LOL

For post 97 licences it is the MAM/GVW weights that matter and not the actual weights

Cannot say a 3500 GVW which only actually weighs 3000 on a weighbridge is 3000 for licence purposes - it still remains 3500

when a trailer gets downplated the serial number is logged with the new plated weight

Where that info is sent I have absolutely no idea

When a trailer subject to test (over 3500kg mam) is downplated the changes are registered and it gets a new plate, that’s where the term downplating comes from. When a trailer under 3500kg gets “downplated” there is no one to tell, the thing isn’t registered anywhere, has no test or recorded history so you can change plates at will as much and as often as you like (staying within the design weights of course).

It matters not if the manufacturer is still trading, that’s completely spurious, the manufacturers interest in the trailer ends when it is sold.

As far as registering changes of weights goes the place the changes are registered is DVLA, IF the trailer is subject to plating (testing) since trailers under 3500ky aren’t subject to test there is NO WHERE to register any changes.

I think I just answered that in the post above a few seconds ago - LOL

For post 97 licences it is the MAM/GVW weights that matter and not the actual weights

Cannot say a 3500 GVW which only actually weighs 3000 on a weighbridge is 3000 for licence purposes - it still remains 3500

cheers ROG. We must have both been typing frantically at the same time. Spot on, thanks.:thumbup:

When a trailer subject to test (over 3500kg mam) is downplated the changes are registered and it gets a new plate, that’s where the term downplating comes from. When a trailer under 3500kg gets “downplated” there is no one to tell, the thing isn’t registered anywhere, has no test or recorded history so you can change plates at will as much and as often as you like (staying within the design weights of course).

It matters not if the manufacturer is still trading, that’s completely spurious, the manufacturers interest in the trailer ends when it is sold.

As far as registering changes of weights goes the place the changes are registered is DVLA, IF the trailer is subject to plating (testing) since trailers under 3500ky aren’t subject to test there is NO WHERE to register any changes.

As I have no knowledge of this side of things then I bow to your knowledge

My field is that of licence and weight rules for B and B+E licence holders as well as the weight and licence rules surrounding LGVs

so to sum up old gits like me who pissed their test before 1997 can tow 3500kg behind a discovery can carry on till we loose our marbles or in my case 2038 which ever is the sooner:biggrin:

I got pulled on the M6 yesterday, Disco plus IFW twin axle box van, max trailer weight 2700kg, seems I need a Tacho as my train weight [Disco plus trailer loaded to max weight ] is over 3500kg.

A

I got pulled on the M6 yesterday, Disco plus IFW twin axle box van, max trailer weight 2700kg, seems I need a Tacho as my train weight [Disco plus trailer loaded to max weight ] is over 3500kg.

A

Yes thats nothing to do with your driving licence entitlement and you have needed a tacho since 1997 for business use over 3500kg gross train weight.

A

Also an Operator licence

restricted O licence to carry just own stuff but only if trailer is over 1020 kgs UNLADEN

full O licence to carry stuff not own but now with any trailer

O licence stuff not really my bag so I hope I remembered right ...