New Towing Regs - Jan 2013

Johnnyboxer

I found this on another Forum

New rules for towing trailers with a car or small vehicle : Directgov - Motoring

Seems like even if you have an old licence (passed car test in 1982) - you will have to take a test to tow over 3500kg combined weight:001_rolleyes:

Existing car or small vehicle drivers

If you already have a licence to drive cars or small vehicles (category B and BE), you'll keep your entitlement to tow trailers. Your entitlement to tow trailers will stay as it was when you passed your driving test.

To tow heavier trailers after 19 January 2013, you'll need to follow the rules for new drivers, below.

New drivers from 19 January 2013

If you pass your test to drive cars or small vehicles up to 3,500 kilograms (kg) (category B) from 19 January 2013, you’ll be able to tow:

light trailers weighing no more than 750 kg

trailers weighing more than 750 kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle (car or small vehicle) and the trailer is not more than 3,500 kg

Category BE

If your trailer weighs over 750 kg and the combined trailer and towing vehicle weight is more than 3,500 kg, you’ll need to pass a further test. The trailer you tow must not be heavier than 3,500 kg. This test will be shown on your driving licence as category BE.

Category C1E

To tow a trailer weighing more than 3,500 kg with a car or small vehicle (category B), you’ll need to pass a test for category C1E.

Am I reading it correctly?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I studied this so called change and the only thing I can see that affects all drivers new or old is the towing of trailers over 3500 MAM

As those trailers come under different rules - like air brakes fo example - then I hardly think it is going to affect anyone

The wording has left out the usual 3500 kgs MAM and just says 3500 kgs but that is just an omission and not a change in the law - typical DVLA not making sure it reads as it should!!

Again, no mention of the B towing rule where the plated MAM of a trailer must not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle - another omission but no change in the law.

Why the DVLA could not just have mentioned the changes for trailers over 3500 is beyond me.....

I cant see many people tow trailers over 3500kg unless they are using a lorry. Max towing weight for discoveries rr and defenders is 3500kg unless fitted with air brakes. ?

Isn't it the Gross Train Weight of the whole rig (Defender & loaded 3t trailer = 5.5tonne on the weighbridge), if it exceeds 3.5tonne you need a Trailer test in 2013, whether you've had your licence for 20 years or not:001_rolleyes:

If your Defender and Trailer is in total is 3.5tonne or less, on the weighbridege - then you're ok

Quite a bit on other Forums about it, especially with lasses with Discoveries and a Horsebox with 2 Horses in it, which means they think they will have to take the Trailer test in 2013

I think it's the size of the whole combined rig .................over 3.5tonne in total and you need a test

400-500 depending on how good and lucky you are test on it's own is about 150 but worth doing the training

I'm going through mine ATM. £35/hr for training and £115 for the test. I've done 2 hours and got another two hours booked then the test the week after.

Although you are right, it's costing me less than £300 in all, but I've had plenty practice!

Isn't it the Gross Train Weight of the whole rig (Defender & loaded 3t trailer = 5.5tonne on the weighbridge), if it exceeds 3.5tonne you need a Trailer test in 2013, whether you've had your licence for 20 years or not:001_rolleyes:

If your Defender and Trailer is in total is 3.5tonne or less, on the weighbridege - then you're ok

Quite a bit on other Forums about it, especially with lasses with Discoveries and a Horsebox with 2 Horses in it, which means they think they will have to take the Trailer test in 2013

I think it's the size of the whole combined rig .................over 3.5tonne in total and you need a test

It does not say gross train weight it says gross weight of trailer. You are getting confused with tacho law.

It also says

If you already have a licence to drive cars or small vehicles (category B and BE), you'll keep your entitlement to tow trailers. Your entitlement to tow trailers will stay as it was when you passed your driving test.

Or to put it another way if you are old like me nothing changes and our insurance is much cheaper as well but look on the bright side you have youth on your side. :thumbup1: lasses may have to take the test because they passed after 1997