To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

The last time i did some corronet cuts was in a park. There was no deadwood habitat so the idea of creating slow rotting internal micro climates for saproxylic organisims is a moot point.

The head ranger who wrote the spec was using it to remove the 'sharp' flat edge at the top of the tree.

I don't believe that they should be used in every circumstance and i feel that a lot of people will jump on the eco bandwagon, but they are useful.

In a woodland that has little deadwood they should be used as part of an ongoing deadwood habitat program. remove the wood that has a high risk factor but retain the wood that is in the woodland interior.

Old info.

Deadwood provides one of the greatest forest resources

Kirby, K. (1992). Accumulation of deadwood - a missing ingredient in coppice.

Where any chainsaw work is carried out, it is recoomended to create natural looking wounds, as straight flat cuts do not allow rapid colonisation of saproxylic organisims (Read 2000)....Ranius et al (2000) advised the use of chainsaws to create rot holes and damaged areas of teh tree to initiate decay.

Both of the above quotes were lifted from my dissertation.

If anyone wants the chapeter on deadwood i can post it up. minus the reference list.

Jamie

Old info.

Deadwood provides one of the greatest forest resources

Where any chainsaw work is carried out, it is recoomended to create natural looking wounds, as straight flat cuts do not allow rapid colonisation of saproxylic organisims (Read 2000)....Ranius et al (2000) advised the use of chainsaws to create rot holes and damaged areas of teh tree to initiate decay.

Jamie

(Read 2000) Not only an Inspiration but also a Boss :icon14:

I think coronet cuts look terrible. I know one thing for sure - the majority of my customers wouldn't pay me if I started doing them. Actually, I think most of my customers would think I was having a laugh and get someone else in if I even suggested it.

Some how I doubt you work for the kind of clients that would want or request it.