To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

Ok, I've re-read this thread from beginning to thus far, I still dont think many clients would go for this idea, but I realise I have had my blinkers on regarding my opinions here. I (personally) would prefer to see maybe one or two coro-cuts per tree, maybe more subtlety? Thinking from my own standpoint, I realise I havent thought of moving with the times, and this is something I have to change.

Ok, I've re-read this thread from beginning to thus far, I still dont think many clients would go for this idea, but I realise I have had my blinkers on regarding my opinions here. I (personally) would prefer to see maybe one or two coro-cuts per tree, maybe more subtlety? Thinking from my own standpoint, I realise I havent thought of moving with the times, and this is something I have to change.

"Thus far" I think encapsulates the subject very well Andy.

This is not a fad, and Mrs Miggins may well think us to be of not particularly sound mind, but get the clients right ( National Trust, Royal Parks, Conservationaly minded Landed Gentry and progressive L As ) then it's a win win.

I even know of contractors that get paid by time rather than specification. And that I believe is due to pure trust in that case as opposed to left field TO's, who've just read an article, and probably have a misguided view of where the public purse should be spent.

Coros are a small, but significant part of the way our profession is rekindling it's conectivety toward Tree management, that had become sanitised and almost lost from the general lack of foresight that our ancestors possed, through long endured experience.

This we need to relearn and slow down back in tune to natures cycle, and not our general selfish uncaring "the now" culture, which pervades in the lust for new technology, fast this, fast that.

Having reviewed and re-assessed my opinions, I have realised that I was actually becoming stuck in my ways, and the very essence of what I disagree with. I've always maintained that you can learn something new about our trade however long you've been doing it, and then in one post I proved to myself that I had closed my eyes to learning (something new). So this isnt so much about coronetting (for me) but woken me up again and made me smell the coffee!

Our tree contractor was working on roadside oak trees dead wooding one needed to be reduced down the main stem a little i asked him to put a coronet cut on the top, the tree is still very high and no one in the village has ever seen it or said that they have. I think it looks real cool keep a few bugs happy. the tree next door to this has stag beetles so we are really happy:001_smile:

I wonder why it's only done in the UK?

i was asking our council arborist about trying it out in some of the reserves but realised that there is so much bush still here that its benefits were of little use. I reckon it should be put to good use in the uk as all the wildwoodland (which is where the dying, decaying trees are) is or has dissapeared. I think that it is a great new way of pruning when used in the correct setting and used as a tool to complement shigo's techniques.different tools for different jobs, etc...

or am i missing the point?