To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

i have seen some spectacular cuts in this section & read some v interesting coments.

has anyone heard of the friction & heat action of using a chain saw on these cuts as detrementle to some habitat/growth impeadment due to efectivly quaterizing/steralising the cut zones?

i do some wrk on veteran trees & pollards & would like to find other opinions on this subject as i am increasingly asked to just back cuts if not puting myself in danger to produce rips/barber chair style wounds to premote a more natural veterinising/habitat creation.

i would like to experement with partialy cutting a section of branch or stem then aplying force through a mec rope winch tec(fiddle block for an eg) to finish off the break as i feel this would not have the power to interfear with root stabilaty befor breakage occers.

any thoughts on this?

i have seen some spectacular cuts in this section & read some v interesting coments.

has anyone heard of the friction & heat action of using a chain saw on these cuts as detrementle to some habitat/growth impeadment due to efectivly quaterizing/steralising the cut zones?

i do some wrk on veteran trees & pollards & would like to find other opinions on this subject as i am increasingly asked to just back cuts if not puting myself in danger to produce rips/barber chair style wounds to premote a more natural veterinising/habitat creation.

i would like to experement with partialy cutting a section of branch or stem then aplying force through a mec rope winch tec(fiddle block for an eg) to finish off the break as i feel this would not have the power to interfear with root stabilaty befor breakage occers.

any thoughts on this?

Hello Dan,

I'm no authority, as it's a work in progress for me, watching, recording photographing, listening. Always keen to hear others experiences and views.

I get the point about the teeth of a saw creating the unnatural effects you describe, also the micro coating of chain oil thrown in aswell.

Have you read up on this anywhere, or have you talked to anyone inparticular?

As for an assisted tear/fractures, that's wholey dependant on each trees specific stability, condition, decay, soil type etc.....

We've tried winching, three to one, & tractor on both branch fractures and monoliths, always with a good eye on whats going on at a branch union or root plate as much as is practicable. But it's never going to be an exact science.

Assessment of target is a must, and reviewing also.

Have you picked up on either of these yet?

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/3483-fracture-prune.html

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/4097-coros-fractures.html

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/8303-fungi-fractures-birds.html

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/6708-return-jaws.html

Am I right in guessing you're the contractor that CoL use over at BB?

• 4 weeks later...
We're back to the 'right time - right place' answer again. The work I do is quite varied, working on wildlife trust reserves - coronet cuts, street trees - very BS3998!, in private gardens - I might ask the customer which they would prefer (especially in a woodland garden situation).

Incidently, I recently went on a 'bat awareness' course. Whilst talking to the bat expert who was instructing, I discussed what sort of cuts would benefit bats in particular. He said horizontal cuts that wouldn't be accessed by much rainwater would be best, especially if they were borning cuts going upwards into the tree.

The more open 'fracture' type of cuts would still be of benefit to other beasties of course.

I had the pleasure of watching a Kestrel using one of my pollard - coronets as hunting perch last week - now thats a bit of job satisfaction!!

Bingo, thanks for this post, i knew it! I bloody love this site!

There is something very suspect about coronet cuts.

Its like humans are trying to rush the tree into death and decay because they are too impatient to wait for nature to take its course.

Yes we are impatient, because there is a MASSIVE void in the micro/niche habitat of the most diverse group of organisms in the woodland environment.

We made this happen, and its OUR responsibility to rectify the damage.

Monkey magic! but wheres pigsey?

Some of those coronets youve been doing are VERY impressive, this is without doubt the best thread ive read in here so far. Some REALLY daft replies, or rather narrow minded blinkered points of view, but then it is a discussion and your always going to get a few "knockers"

i also think that a great many of you make assumptions on the wants of your clients, i myself have proven time and time again, if you suggest options, give people the information and justification youll very often be pleasantly suprised at the "general publics" view of such practices.

just two weeks ago, we went to fell a chestnut thats past its best, it had a VERY larg colony of bees during the summer. My boss was arguing with me that client would not have it, reality was he hadnt given them the oportunity, I am glad to say, i managed to convince them to have a pollard and so these bees will hopefully survive, though unfortunate that my bosses father had gone their to pour a gallon of petrol down the hole to "make our lives more comfortable!"

the justification was that I wouldnt have like operating the tree with them around me! it was freezing mid winter and i would have took a beating off them anyway, cos i am passionate about reducing my ecological impact.

my point is that the client is more willing than you all give them credit for, EVERYONE sympathises with nature, you just have to give them your knowledge.

long live "inclusional arboriculture" and the corenet cut, for it symbolises a movement, that I will encourage with all my heart and soul.