Rogue Tree Surgeons / Gardeners on Watchdog now

Danny Boy

i dont doubt your right mate,but this facia was rotten they where picking bits off and throwing it in the hedge,,but hey,,,mobile phone in one hand,flat caps,and white trainers,,suppose they must have been legit,,,:confused1:

Ahhh, of you'd mentioned the flat caps an trainers before then I woulda known they weren't legit! :thumbup1:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think ANYBODY here has tried to justify them. The problem with programs like Watchdog is the whole sensationalisation of it. What people should be doing is making complaints to Trading Standards, and where deception has taken place then make complaints to the police. And if people offer big discounts for cash then dob them in to HMRC.

What programmes like Watchdog do is to make the general public suspicious of virtually every single tradesman, then you get Trustatrader and Checkatrade ads telling people to only use people who are on their listings. Maybe what is needed is a database held by the local authority, that we can all be listed on free of charge, but then removed if verifiable/justifiable complaints are made about our work. At least then we wouldn't be expected to pay £600+/year for a Checkatrade advert.

Your right about the general suspicion thing. Quote some of the middle classes a price more than minimum wage and often you will see the distrusting look. Often I think there is a need for contractor protection let alone consumer protection.

I agree with lots of whats been said by many but probably NOT all that has been said by any!

Lets not mince our words here - basically the Smiths and those like them are Scum of the lowest order. Lying, cheating, bullying scum at that!

The problem is that programs like Watchdog sensationalise the whole issue and what makes me really angry is that 'Matt' and his goon of a sidekick try to make fun of the situation or poke fun at the guilty party!

There is nothing funny here, these lowlifes are bullying, conning and defrauding the un-informed, weak, naive and vulnerable, into paying for jobs that are either not done as agreed or unnecessary in the first place. Or they pressurise and cajolle, usually older people into agreeing to pay inflated prices for un-necessary work that they say/make up is needed done around the house garden - its makes no real difference whether we are talking Tree work, building/maintenance trades, roofing, etc, etc.

Getting Matt or his mate to correct the mistake between an Ash and Sorbus is petty and fairly irrelevant - I'm pretty damn sure they couldn't of named the trees themselves!

Just show these people up for what they are then get the HSE, Trading Standards, with Police in attendance to confront them. And if you are really the programmes expert why are you not willing to back up what you say.

Naming James or whatever as a tree expert is completely irrelevant to you, me and Joe public without some sort of info to back up the claims - Tree Surgeon/Arborist, Consultant, etc, etc - quoting their qualifications will also help, naming him as a Tree Expert is sh**e.

I could go on, but you would all get bored. The whole situation around this type of chancer/cheat should be shut down, but please don't say that pathetic operations like Trust a trader or checkachancer, or other 'independent authority that charges any mug a load of their hard earned (or not) to advertise is a joke. Its just a way of taking some of your money and most of the people who are on their are pretty dubious.

Unfortunately I have very little time for any trade body, they just seem to want your money with very little in return. But would welcome any proof to the contrary.

Rant over - for now!

Chris

Your right about the general suspicion thing. Quote some of the middle classes a price more than minimum wage and often you will see the distrusting look. Often I think there is a need for contractor protection let alone consumer protection.

:thumbup1: The ones with the money hang onto it, wish they would make a program on how some of these crooks rob us. I am not talking of the old lady's out there who cant wait to pay you, make tea and are great customers. I am talking about the ones who agree a price then dont want to pay for a month then try to knock you down.

Yes been there done all that, learnt along the way and now spot them a mile off:001_rolleyes:

I agree with lots of whats been said by many but probably NOT all that has been said by any!

Lets not mince our words here - basically the Smiths and those like them are Scum of the lowest order. Lying, cheating, bullying scum at that!

The problem is that programs like Watchdog sensationalise the whole issue and what makes me really angry is that 'Matt' and his goon of a sidekick try to make fun of the situation or poke fun at the guilty party!

There is nothing funny here, these lowlifes are bullying, conning and defrauding the un-informed, weak, naive and vulnerable, into paying for jobs that are either not done as agreed or unnecessary in the first place. Or they pressurise and cajolle, usually older people into agreeing to pay inflated prices for un-necessary work that they say/make up is needed done around the house garden - its makes no real difference whether we are talking Tree work, building/maintenance trades, roofing, etc, etc.

Getting Matt or his mate to correct the mistake between an Ash and Sorbus is petty and fairly irrelevant - I'm pretty damn sure they couldn't of named the trees themselves!

Just show these people up for what they are then get the HSE, Trading Standards, with Police in attendance to confront them. And if you are really the programmes expert why are you not willing to back up what you say.

Naming James or whatever as a tree expert is completely irrelevant to you, me and Joe public without some sort of info to back up the claims - Tree Surgeon/Arborist, Consultant, etc, etc - quoting their qualifications will also help, naming him as a Tree Expert is sh**e.

I could go on, but you would all get bored. The whole situation around this type of chancer/cheat should be shut down, but please don't say that pathetic operations like Trust a trader or checkachancer, or other 'independent authority that charges any mug a load of their hard earned (or not) to advertise is a joke. Its just a way of taking some of your money and most of the people who are on their are pretty dubious.

Unfortunately I have very little time for any trade body, they just seem to want your money with very little in return. But would welcome any proof to the contrary.

Rant over - for now!

Chris

I've often wonders how much matt gets paid per episode?

nice one Butler

TV will do anything to make a program, sadly 98.9% of the general public believe what they see on the TV and read in news papers, it has to be right eh!!!!!!!!!!

A farmer friend was quite chuffed when a tv program was going to include him & the farm, the tv crew took a whole day filming and messing about, we all watched the program when it came on weeks later, all 8 seconds of it!

He said never again, they promised him the coverage would help farming in general but all they wanted was a tiny bit of cow s**t on the presenters wellies

If anyone is approached to be filmed I would take caution and really look into it first. To me the media including tv producers are no better than Mr Smith and his boys

rant over :-)

oh... PS, what do they get paid.... far too much you would never believe it HONESTLY

Of cause these muppets on the show were "rogue trader", but they are not alone, what about all the sharp practices from the banks and financial advisers, selling insurance that will not pay out or other products based on the highest commission for them, not the best product for you.

A very large percentage of people out there are just looking to squeeze every possible penny out of any one they deal with, if you think about it too long you will just become bitter and twisted.

Forget about what others are doing, just concentrate on your business and your customers, I often think 'How would I feel if the price I have given was given to my mum?"

I'll never be rich, but I do OK and sleep easy in my bed :)

Thats the difference Skyhuck, we can sleep at night and never be millionaires but who would want all that money.

When they put all this crap on tv it has an hidden gender... like hiding the fact the government are killing our NHS using all the crooked ways they can

I have to stop there or I will through the laptop out the window:blushing::001_tt2: