Rogue Tree Surgeons / Gardeners on Watchdog now

Danny Boy

It was very over hyped,

They getting lawson and leyland mixed up is easily done and I usually call lawson or thuja leylandii because that's what the customer knows.

I always widdle in the garden, who wants a dirty horrible tree surgeon treding mud and sawdust into there pristine bathroom.

He called a Sorbus a ash well sometimes I get fuddled if its a rare ornamental.

Also wheres the how to spot rogue? Advice

True what you're saying about leylandii

People think you're being a smart arse if you keep correcting them.

Peeing in the garden= OK so long as you find somewhere a bit private.

Sorbus= starting to show his ignorance

The way they talked/ acted/ = rogues

Oil tipped on the bar- I'm guessing this wasn't vegetable oil so not too enviro spraying mineral oil all over customers garden

If we can't criticise this attitude on here then what hope is there for this industry. I mean come on- flappy snaggy hi vis in the tree- it's only a bad thing.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True what you're saying about leylandii

People think you're being a smart arse if you keep correcting them.

Peeing in the garden= OK so long as you find somewhere a bit private.

Sorbus= starting to show his ignorance

The way they talked/ acted/ = rogues

Oil tipped on the bar- I'm guessing this wasn't vegetable oil so not too enviro spraying mineral oil all over customers garden

If we can't criticise this attitude on here then what hope is there for this industry. I mean come on- flappy snaggy hi vis in the tree- it's only a bad thing.

I disagree, I think it shows you know your stuff, they have called you in as an expert, so you should be a "smart arse" when it comes to trees. We of cause need to be polite and not come across as arrogant.

Like Andy says, its a lot of fuss about bugger all.

Its good for us boys as it means we need to do very little to impress the punters.

I looked a job the other day, where I had worked next door a few years, I told them it had been me next door they said "Oh you looked very professional, with all the safety gear, helmet,etc",

agreed- we only give out 'professional' vibes

How many times have I listened to a customer calling a Thuja a Leylandii.

I keep quiet usually and correct them with Latin in the quote.

It's a win win situation.

Must remember to get the lads to wash their hi vis so they can be clearly seen in the tree:biggrin:

I disagree, I think it shows you know your stuff, they have called you in as an expert, so you should be a "smart arse" when it comes to trees. We of cause need to be polite and not come across as arrogant.

Like Andy says, its a lot of fuss about bugger all.

Its good for us boys as it means we need to do very little to impress the punters.

I looked a job the other day, where I had worked next door a few years, I told them it had been me next door they said "Oh you looked very professional, with all the safety gear, helmet,etc",

Very much an acquired art, Dave. Not everybody has perfected it. I certainly agree with the professional appearance being a great advert, and courtesy to the neighbours/ passers-by often pays dividends by creating enquiries in my experience. I always try to have the cards of the firm I am subbying for in my pocket so I can hand them out when requested. :001_smile:

Nice to see people are seeing the bigger picture here and not just jumping on the bandwagon that watchdog try to create. It always makes me laugh when they set up these people. The actors are obviously given a wad of cash to pay. In many of these programs(not just involving tree surgeons), the 'customer' always has enough cash in hand to pay the extortinate rates being charged....this isnt realistic.

Oh do get me wrong they were terrible. The lack of advice made me angry.

I try to give a profecianal impression and I don't think these shows help as it can make people think we're all rogues.

Conifers - yesterday was the first time I had to be species specific as we were doing like for like replacement of a fire damaged hedge other than that it's conifer hedge

I try and talk in laymens terms to customers regarding their trees. I've seen others try and get technical, and you can see the customers eyes glaze over. The only person being impressed most of the time is the speaker themselves.

I certainly wouldnt have said this though.....'its an ash 'innit'

I've heard fully trained, but new out of college types make a complete hash of explaining jobs to a client, stumbling over words, trying to over complicate what is a simple task just to sound good. Doesn't work. Not everyone is fluent in the way of talking to people, it can be almost an art form in itself. On the other hand, I've known real professionals say next to nothing, just look make a note, and leave, sending the quote and job description in writing. everyone has their own techniques, and "Walters" technique usually seems to work for him.

I think putting pressure on vulnerable people to have unnecessary over priced work done should be the focus here, whether you have qualifications or not.

I lose a lot of work being honest and sometimes wonder whether being dishonest is the only way you get anywhere nowadays

Sent from my iPhone cos it was

Too right Dean, and many many people and trades are equally guilty of bulling the job up to make a day of it, to make the weeks money.in fact I'd go as far as to say that the majority of trades do this, and it is morally wrong. Back to my point earlier in the thread... "would your business stand up to such scrutiny?"