Ebay schmebay

James_skingley

I sold in quite a big way on ebay.

The top and bottom of it is people bid silly, they bid far beyond what the item is worth and tend not to do their homework before bidding.

I used to buy from normal auctions also, I gave up because non-dealers would come to an auction to buy and would just bid thinking whatever they get it at is going to be cheap because dealers will only pay dealer rate.

The only problem is, there would be another "end user" at the other side of the room thinking the same thing and they would end up bidding against each other.

Dealers would stand there scratching their heads wondering what the hell was going on. Sometimes a crappy second hand item would go for more or close to what it cost new :confused1:

Same happens on ebay.

If I go round a car boot and see something I want, I get a price in my head, I then ask how much, if it's below I buy, slightly above try haggle, way above, walk away.

You should employ the same tactic on ebay, set a price in your mind and don't go over it, don't bid early on, you will only drive the price up and best of all Lotsnipe it instead of bidding. Just go to Lotsnipe, enter the maximum you wish to pay and let them bid at the very last second for you.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well theres a lot to think about there lads seems mostly that you had good experiences, I`ve sent the dodgy saw back and the seller is going to have his service depot look over it again. Apparently thay just over looked the list as long as yer arm things that were wrong....

Trying again with another stihl from another ebay seller fingers crossed.

I spent a while looking for a saw on ebay a few years ago. I wasn't after anything special, just something to keep on top of my firewood with. Most of the things I looked at ended up going for more than you'd pay new - quite crazy prices clearly being bought by people who hadn't done their homework. Ended up buying a new bottom of the range Stihl from the farmers supply place up the road. There's so much that can go wrong with a saw, and so many idiots using them without a clue I don't think it's worth it unless you get a real bargain, or get a buzz out making a piece of junk work again.

I sold in quite a big way on ebay.

The top and bottom of it is people bid silly, they bid far beyond what the item is worth and tend not to do their homework before bidding.

I used to buy from normal auctions also, I gave up because non-dealers would come to an auction to buy and would just bid thinking whatever they get it at is going to be cheap because dealers will only pay dealer rate.

The only problem is, there would be another "end user" at the other side of the room thinking the same thing and they would end up bidding against each other.

Dealers would stand there scratching their heads wondering what the hell was going on. Sometimes a crappy second hand item would go for more or close to what it cost new :confused1:

That's my experience of ebay, even on simple stuff for the house or garden..the price just shoots up at the end. As for auctions, I've heard from people who go to farm sales etc. that some stuff (eg. batches of fencing materials etc.) fetch more than they would new!

Best tip is to bid on stuff that will finish during the day in the week..when most of joe public are still at work at the office.

Have any of you used ezsniper,

"places your eBay bid in the last seconds of the auction so you aren't outbid. This is called sniping and it really improves your chances of winning. If you want to check it out go to:

http://www.ezsniper.com/?refuser=benedmonds

They even offer a free trial, so there is nothing to lose." Brilliant!

If you do register, PLEASE put benedmonds refered you as I'll get 5 free snipes!