Ebay schmebay

James_skingley

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didnt you used to set the maize maze out near my house at milton

yes i did it for about the last four years but not this year, i was busy and i also sorted them with their own high accuracy gps unit so they can do it themselves now, which kind of renders me out of that job :sad: as it payed quie nicely but travelling down from staffs in the middle of summer was getting a bit awkward

brought a 460 off ebay for 50quid as a dodgy runner(fuel starv symptoms) thought it was worth a punt, got it home, took the top of the carb, cleanded the crap outa the wire filter in the carb, retuned-took me 15 min of basic maintencnce for a fantastic saw!

brought a 023 a few years back, ran perfectly, still does

just be carefull!

i buy AND sell a few on e-bay,i think you mostly get what you pay for.i always make my descriptions clear and honest,sadly some don't,if you have your eye on something but have doubts then e-mail the seller and ask as many questions as it takes,and always check their return/refund policy

I'd say 98% of all my dealings on ebay have been excellent, value for money buys. I took a gamble on buying an 090 from Oz on there, and it was better than I'd ever expect!! On a couple of occasions I have had dispute with sellers, but these have been successfully sorted by ebay themselves, so no real issues my end.

Is it really worth the risk buying on-line?

Are there any good stories about getting a chainsaw off some one when you havent seen it run or started it...

I`ve just been buggered again buying on line, thought I`d got a bargin

£130 for a 2005 stihl 024.

Took it to my local service depot to get it tuned ready for work...Piston scorched, gaskets blown, gaskets missing!, manifold bent, bolts missing, chain brake loose, throttle switch naff, etc. etc.

Would be £200 to get all the work done. Now a £130 bargin would be £300 pain in proverbial.

Telling the lads at work and all have a horror story about buying from ebay ar a carboot.

Best quote i heard today.."Why would anyone sell a good working saw? Why would anyone think of buying a used saw someone wants to sell?"

Any success stories out there?

Any more numpties like me?

Prices on Ebay for used saws are incredible - I bought a spanking new 346XP from the States thinking "great, i'll shave 100 off UK retail", but... the guy sent it in the Husky box without wrapping, so Customs were all over it, and though I'd asked him to send as a "commercial sample", that doesn't wash if its worth a 3 figure sum so add nearly 70 for Import duty - stick with new, and British? Used is not worth the grief

I've bought quite a lot of stuff off Ebay over the years, and the only problem I've had was recent. I had the top bid on a Snap-On torque multiplier at a price including p&p of £202, I paid by PayPal with £150 protection, and the vendor - sorry, fraudster - never sent the item. Gave me a lot of bull on the phone - it'll be in the post tomorrow, etc - and then de-registered from Ebay when I opened a dispute. Paypal reimbursed to the £150 protection limit, leaving me £52 out of pocket.

The problem I now have, and which I am getting nowhere with, is that I cannot recover the balance. I don't know the fraudster's real name and address (only his old ebay ID name) and Ebay/Paypal won't tell me because of their data protection policy. They would apparently tell the police, but the police aren't interested in such an insiginificant crime. My only approach seems to be a civil action through the small claims court, but to do this I need to know who the scumbag is, and Ebay won't tell me!

Needless to say I have had extensive contact with Ebay on the subject but they are not budging, and it is beginning to look as though there is nothing I can do.

Apart from this one transaction, I have had no problems and have had some good bargains from Ebay. I am however as careful as possible. Incidentally the villain mentioned above did have a good feedback record that didn't appear to be falsified.

First post, by the way, and fairly new to the group. I would like to say that I really enjoy the wealth of experience and useful information here!

Roger (Treewolf)

I've had good luck with E-bay myself .I however feel it might be a tad different in this part of the globe .

With most transactions being within reasonable distances, shipping is not a problem .Plus the fact I do think there is a larger selection of saws and related repair parts to choose from .

For example ,as a general rule parts for a Stihl saw,brand new are usually about half of a dealers price .

Let me say though if you buy an E-bay saw,bid accordingly .It may need repair .If you don't have the knowledge or where with all to work on them best to pass them by .