My lovely climbing kit!!!

Tree-Fela

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no. The CS units are to show that your meet the basic safety requirements. If you had to be a super experienced climber to pass it then it would encourage new arborists to work without it, as you can't gain experience before doing the hours and people aren't going to climb purly recreationally for years until they can start work.

A cambium saver does'nt prove that your a good climber nor does it affect your safety and where would you draw the line ... you could'nt have CS38 where you need to be an expert on fungi, know everything there is to know about rope structure and loading etc. Its all about proving you can move around a tree safely, rescue people and use a saw in a way thats not a danger.

Obviously experience is what makes a climber, but there's only so much that can be taught on a weeks course, can you imagine 4 newbies, with throw lines and cambium savers on an assesment, it would blow there minds lol, We have conversations like this all the time , may be we should adopt a rope access work method were hours accumulated define what tasks you can undertake?, and what level you are, but how do you police that?.

Obviously experience is what makes a climber, but there's only so much that can be taught on a weeks course, can you imagine 4 newbies, with throw lines and cambium savers on an assesment, it would blow there minds lol, We have conversations like this all the time , may be we should adopt a rope access work method were hours accumulated define what tasks you can undertake?, and what level you are, but how do you police that?.

if they cant grasp the concept of how a throwline or cambium saver works after a weeks training they shouldnt be in the industry

Yes and no. The CS units are to show that your meet the basic safety requirements. If you had to be a super experienced climber to pass it then it would encourage new arborists to work without it, as you can't gain experience before doing the hours and people aren't going to climb purly recreationally for years until they can start work.

A cambium saver does'nt prove that your a good climber nor does it affect your safety and where would you draw the line ... you could'nt have CS38 where you need to be an expert on fungi, know everything there is to know about rope structure and loading etc. Its all about proving you can move around a tree safely, rescue people and use a saw in a way thats not a danger.

Yeah I agree totally, this game is ever evolving and best practices and work methods change or should i say you as a climber change with more experience and training you just have to be prepared to learn and change with it, which I think is one of the best parts of the industry.

only so much that can be taught on a weeks course, .

says it all really, now i'm not saying that the Cambium Saver will make you better at climbing just see it as poor legislations , all i'm saying is the assessments should be more intense and longer, it would make a big difference to whom ever, with benefits like experience, confidence and most of all real competency...... well thats my opinion anyway others may vary?

Grasping how something works and putting in to practice is to different things.

I can grasp the idea of quantum physics but I can't do it.

Agree totally mate :thumbup1:

I've been climbing for about 18monthes and easily meet the CS38/39 units, but I would'nt for one second consider myself a brilliant arborist yet. I'm sure you'll agree in that its more than just speed, next week I may find myself in a position where I'm working over a green house for example and I'll lower a piece because I don't feel 100% dropping it, but experienced guys on here would have the confidence to know that it will drop safely with the right cut.

Little tricks as well, college has trained me to do things the correct way, but knowing what to do when something goes udders up is something that experience makes all the difference.

I do agree about 38 that its missing vital parts of tree climbing but most people dont use them that i have seen but that may change within the future. I have been told that my cs39,40,41 will be only be 2 pages of questions, now that for me is taking the mick this is where health and safety is paramount and yet you only have to show basic knowledge of the health and safety from chainsaw operations within the tree. I do find that as i head wrecker but hey who are we to judge where only operators who have got a license to thrill the passing public with all are fancy stunts and load bangs but somehow manage to show method within the methodical madness which we like to call arboriculture.