Trailer towing:- B and B+E licence rules explained

ROG.

Most things are simple - its the way they are written which often makes them seem complicated and does not help when the authorities leave the old rules for public view

Here are the simple driving licence towing rules ......

These rules apply to all B and B+E category drivers no matter when the test was passed

B category

Vehicle not more than 3500 kg plated GVW

B category towing

A trailer of 750 kg max plated MAM may be towed by a B category vehicle making a possible total plated MAM of 4250 kg

If a trailer over 750 kg plated MAM is towed by a B category vehicle then the plated GVW of the vehicle added to the plated MAM of the trailer (MTPLM of a caravan) must not total more than 3500 kg

B+E category

Towing a trailer with a B category vehicle where the trailer is not over 3500 kg plated MAM

To tow a trailer over 3500 kg plated MAM the category needed is C1+E

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The B+E test has changed quite a bit over the last 2 years so here is the current version ......

The B+E test

No medical or theory test required

Read a number plate from a certain distance

VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions - usually 5 asked = [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqw6Ua3kmFc&feature=related]Show Me Tell Me Questions and Answers For The UK Driving Test - YouTube[/ame]

The next three can be in any order:-

VIDEO - Reversing Exercise = B+E Trailer reversing excercise videos - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds

DSA REVERSING TEST AREA DIAGRAM = https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/68791/LGV_PCV_BE_manoeuvring_exercise_area_diagram.pdf

VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up = [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_5KOe8dGg&feature=related]How to de-couple & re-couple a small trailer - YouTube[/ame] - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds

One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

The trailer must now be loaded with 600 kgs of sand bags or a 1000 kgs water IBC for the test so most companies are now training with that weight in the trailer = https://www.gov.uk/new-laden-testing-rules-for-driving-test-vehicles

Well explained here = Trailer Training Wales taking the B+E Test

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting BUT NOT RECOMMENDED – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test that means you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.

DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS = http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022521

Remember that the required 600 kgs of sand bags or 1 x 1000 IBC filled with water will be required in the trailer and the load must be secure.

Correct - that is perfectly legal

Thank you very much. Another couple while you're still here:

-Can I tow on a motorway with L-plates and a licenced passenger?

-Where do you get your info? 'ROG. told me' will unfortunately not convince many police/magistrates. Not asking to antagonise; just need to be sure.:)

Thank you very much. Another couple while you're still here:

-Can I tow on a motorway with L-plates and a licenced passenger?

-Where do you get your info? 'ROG. told me' will unfortunately not convince many police/magistrates. Not asking to antagonise; just need to be sure.:)

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

What a good question :001_smile:

My info is from what is officially written on the internet (Gov sites) as well as confirming any 'not so clear' points by Emailing my MP who gets me the definitive answers from the DfT minister

I also have recent ex-police traffic officers and recent ex-VOSA who can assist me

Is driver training or similar your profession or are you just informed because you've taken the time to find out anyway?

I am a current IAM observer (since 1998) and was a LGV instructor (2005 to 2008)

Since not having work for a number of years I got interested in the weights and licencing laws as well as the regs for LGV drivers

I am a current IAM observer (since 1998) and was a LGV instructor (2005 to 2008)

Since not having work for a number of years I got interested in the weights and licencing laws as well as the regs for LGV drivers

Whats the situation regarding towing a caravan with a ford ranger without having a trailer license? Cheers

Sent from my ST23i using Arbtalk mobile app