Trailer towing:- B and B+E licence rules explained

ROG.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is for B only licence - no B+E

A 3500 GVW transit can tow a 750 kgs MAM trailer

The vehicle and trailer have their own individual weight limits which means in the above the transit can actually weight 3500 when loaded and the trailer can weigh 750 kgs when loaded making a max MAM of 4250 which is legal for a B licence

The 3500 total MAM limit comes into force when the trailer is more than 750 kgs MAM

Any vehicle with a GVW of less than 2750 kgs can have a trailer more than 750 kgs MAM

Example

Vehicle GVW 2600

Trailer MAM 900

GVW and MAM mean the same thing - the max weight they can legally be when fully loaded

Another stupid thing with this trailer malarky is that even if you sit your class 2 hgv which a young lad I know has just done you still cant tow a heavy trailer. He can drive a 20ton truck but needs to sit another test to put a decent trailer behind his car. He said that he might as well sit his class1 hgv rather than spend money on the car trailer test.

Bob

• 2 months later...

So... am I right in thinking that if I were to lend someone my Land Rover (3050kg MAM, actual weight 2400kg) and ifor (3500kgMAM actual unladen 900kg) they need a +E to tow it? However if L plates were attached and I (C+E and all the rest that automatically goes with it) were sitting as the responsable adult then we would be in the clear, assuming its not for hire or reward?

In essence how do we train people before going through all the expense of a course?

So... am I right in thinking that if I were to lend someone my Land Rover (3050kg MAM, actual weight 2400kg) and ifor (3500kgMAM actual unladen 900kg) they need a +E to tow it? However if L plates were attached and I (C+E and all the rest that automatically goes with it) were sitting as the responsable adult then we would be in the clear, assuming its not for hire or reward?

In essence how do we train people before going through all the expense of a course?

The OP would be able to give you a totally definitive answer but I was told by my large government employer that I could take out our drivers training for B+E as I had passed the B+E test at least 3 years ago. yet lads that had passed class 1 or C+E or had grand father rights to B+E cant supervise training for B+E as they hadn't sat the test!

Another stupid thing with this trailer malarky is that even if you sit your class 2 hgv which a young lad I know has just done you still cant tow a heavy trailer. He can drive a 20ton truck but needs to sit another test to put a decent trailer behind his car. He said that he might as well sit his class1 hgv rather than spend money on the car trailer test.

Bob

Correct but as I understand it if he gains B+E as a grandfather right through C+E test then if he later decides in life not to renew his C+E for instatnce at 45 yrs old medical or any medical after that then in surrending his HGV he would loose the B+E. I was warned about this when I did Cat C test as I gained C1

• 2 months later...
regarding analogu/digital tacographs

you dont have to use them unless you are working more than 100kms from your base.

however if the driver just drives he has to use one technically speaking.

Exemption for 100km only applies to agricultural/forestry work, otherwise it's 50km if GVW is >3.5 tonnes the items being carried are used by the driver in the course of his work.

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I get it but I want to be crystal clear as one of my guys is getting worried about this.

I have a transit 3.5tonne

Timber wolf 125 which states weight of 580odd kg

All guts driving got theirs licenses after 97 but before 2013.

So they are all ok to drive this.

May thanks