How many hours

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah...60hours on average.

The ex-pats clients always involve a 1hour MINIMUM drive but the French ones are all within 15-20min.

Thats hard on Seb as he has kids and it may get hard for me in the future.

The goal is to get more local clients to reduce the travel.

Mondays job is almost 3 hours away!

Well, the travel is reflected in the price so its not so bad just a bit boring.

Ty

When I first started I used to do about between 80-100 per week. When the kids came along I knocked it down to 50-60 as I made a commitment to be in for tea every night. Make it most of the time. Don't tend to work weekends though I could easily do so as I enjoy it. I've structured the business to enable others to carry out many of the tasks I could do but don't want to, (i.e. don't like). It does mean a few more headaches from time to time but nothing insurmountable. I endeavour to empower my staff to be responsible for their actions and deal with issues prior to them coming to me. Dosen't always work. That's life.

IMO making time for your wife and family is very important. I've seen alot of older men who regret not being with their kids as they grew up. It's too easy to take those close to you for granted. (Some staff included)

I do the hours my family allows, I live my job, playing in machines and climbing trees, it's better than any holiday I could think of lol.

My work hours have increased in the last 6 months due to a large contract, but after taking fantastic advice from Paul Jenks the job is running great, the secret? Empowering staff, they reep the rewards of their freedom to carry out the task their way, but if it's not done right, be it on their shoulders to fix it on their time.

As yet the latter has never needed to be applied.

Today I went and helped out a guy who rolled a tracked chipper down a banking, I only went because it fitted in with my families day.

2 hours later, chipper was back working, 13 tonner was away to another job and I was mountain biking with my 6 year old son.

For almost 5 years I worked a 2 day week, it was bliss. Work was quiet, kids were taking their first steps and zero stress, with the help of all the members here I have changed my ways, learned new ways and tweaked my good points.

Now my plan is building the business to support my family for the preent and future, be it college, university, gap years, or jobs for my boys.

I was a control freak in every way, I wanted the biggest slice for the minimum output for others , now I share then money, the responsibility and have very little stress. The odd thing pops up, but as long as it is addressed quickly and the right way, then it's plain sailing.

I do the hours my family allows, I live my job, playing in machines and climbing trees, it's better than any holiday I could think of lol.

My work hours have increased in the last 6 months due to a large contract, but after taking fantastic advice from Paul Jenks the job is running great, the secret? Empowering staff, they reep the rewards of their freedom to carry out the task their way, but if it's not done right, be it on their shoulders to fix it on their time.

As yet the latter has never needed to be applied.

Today I went and helped out a guy who rolled a tracked chipper down a banking, I only went because it fitted in with my families day.

2 hours later, chipper was back working, 13 tonner was away to another job and I was mountain biking with my 6 year old son.

For almost 5 years I worked a 2 day week, it was bliss. Work was quiet, kids were taking their first steps and zero stress, with the help of all the members here I have changed my ways, learned new ways and tweaked my good points.

Now my plan is building the business to support my family for the preent and future, be it college, university, gap years, or jobs for my boys.

I was a control freak in every way, I wanted the biggest slice for the minimum output for others , now I share then money, the responsibility and have very little stress. The odd thing pops up, but as long as it is addressed quickly and the right way, then it's plain sailing.

:thumbup:

I put my prices up but keep getting work, trouble is the higher paid jobs need more paper work which means more time.

Last week we did a tiny back garden job, had to climb over the rear fence for access, topped a hedge and pruned 2 apple trees for way less than I usually charge for a day cos it was such simple stuff. Not been in a suburban back garden in ages and didnt really want to do it!!

Thing is it was totally stress free, minumum paper work finished early AND I got paid at the end of the day, it was the first payment I had had in weeks! I'm owed 6K and that little job made me happier (and temporarily better off) than all the other stuff!! Might have to do more small jobs to keep the sanity (too late for that!)