Back and neck spine protector recommendations

TreeNuts

I agree with Andy about the fact you have identified the risk, but for me fatigue is a far bigger issue especially with the weather warming up, Im wearing lightweight type 1 trousers and often just a thin shirt on top at the moment after about 30mins felling. The thought of wearing a heavy and restrictive back protector that will infact wear you out quicker and result in you being less aware, and potentially taking more shortcuts in moving around properly and correct positioning seems a very short term solution, unless you are only felling a handful of trees per day.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure am. South Wales, to be vaguely precise :001_smile: Why do you ask?

I've not really come across trees here that could not be well inspected from the ground, in other countries where trees are 200 or 300 feet tall its far more dangerous, but here in the UK I've always felt able to look a the tree and decide if its safe or not.

I think we should remember that everyone has a different perception of danger and risk. The OP has identified something that is a hazard to him, if wearing a protector makes him feel safer to carry out his job. To him it's a very real risk. I wear a support belt to stop my body herniating, has it ever happened... No, will it happen..... Who knows, but I have now identified a new risk to myself since the operation and prevention is better than cure. Yes it will be hot in the summer, probably unbearable, but necessary to me all the same. Another chap I know wears SIP arm protectors on both arms, no idea why, but it makes him feel safer no doubt.

there is nothing wrong with taking precautions, we all do, and must, but bikers wear back protection because they know at some point they will take an impact, tree workers should be working on the basis that they never put themselves in this position, if one of my staf turned up with a spine protector on because of what might happen, i would be asking some serious questions about that person.

You could say the same with all ppe then,