Big Syc's

mikepage

They are called planes in the uk and sycs in the US i believe. There are different names for more than one type of timber between us and the U.S, and this obviously extends to tree species too.

Either way they are very impressive shots.:)

I know some of the different names in the states but didnt know you called planes Sycs.

So do you have Sycamores? Or do you call them Maples?

Some of the biggest (width and height) trees I have seen here are Planes and they look similar to yours. Sycs are sometimes big but not that big.

They are some big trees Mike, any chance of a few more shots especially with leaf on?

I get the name difference thing, we are separated by thousands of miles of Ocean.

The French are 20 miles away and all their bloody words are different, never mind names of trees!

They are some big trees Mike, any chance of a few more shots especially with leaf on?

yeah, we'll be going back in the spring to prune up the big one by the house, I'll get some more shots for you. When we did the one in the yard, myself and co worker went up to get a few peices of dead wood. ended up playing around for 2 hours. luckily it's that kind of job. we just show up when we want and prune what ever needs it. It's not often you that there is time to play at work but when we get the chance we take it.

Rupe: So do you have Sycamores? Or do you call them Maples?

There are a lot of different maples here but I've never heard anyone call a maple a sycamore before. The only difference between an american sycamore and a london plane I beleive is the yellowish color in the planes. I am by no means great at tree ID and I'm sure every area has their own names.

Rupe: So do you have Sycamores? Or do you call them Maples?

There are a lot of different maples here but I've never heard anyone call a maple a sycamore before. The only difference between an american sycamore and a london plane I beleive is the yellowish color in the planes. I am by no means great at tree ID and I'm sure every area has their own names.

am I right in assuming its partly because you call the tulip tree (Liriodendron tuliperfera) a Plane tree?

over here, your american sycamore or our oriental plane BOTH Platanus occidentalis differ to the London Plane (Platanus x hispanica) with different shaped leaves (much different)

Our Sycamore or your maples, Acer sp. (Sycamore = A. pseudoplatanus, Norway = A. platanoides etc, etc) differ in many ways from the planes

:biggrin:

hope that makes sense, and is why latin is so important :thumbup:

am I right in assuming its partly because you call the tulip tree (Liriodendron tuliperfera) a Plane tree?

I thought they called it Yellow poplar or Amercan whitewood. Much easier sticking to botanical names:001_smile: