Planer / thicknesser

harvey b davison

My uncle deals with a guy in south sheilds who reburbs these kinds of heavy duty wood working machines, if you want I could get his details, I dont know if he would have what you want in stock but he has a lot of stuff and he could get you one im sure.

If you are planning to plane big stuff then go for a Wadkin or similar. I would try and find a Robinson but only because I like their Art Deco style.

However I do love my little Dewalt 1150 I bought second hand over 20 years ago. I use it most days for thicknessing small stock.

Nice big heavy wadkin is great if you're not limited for space cos you've got table saws, bandsaws, linishers and everything else there too.

I use a scheppach. I'd consider them a bit of a toy / hobby machine. But Ive really wound some wood over and under that thing. takes up to 26cm. Can move it around my small workshop when I need to, sharpen my own knives, and if you set your machines up properly (there is an art to getting it right, esp for jointing) a bang on good machine.

but if you're winding masses of timber thru it day long, get something beefier.

I have a DeWalt DW733. It's a thicknesser only, which is a bit limiting as you can't joint edges, but is otherwise very useful. The infeed and outfeed tables are long enough and it takes up to 12.5"x6". It has mounts to bolt it down if needed, but is nominally portable, and is certainly compact if you are short on space. I've always found it heavy enough not to need to bolt it down and have run some serious stuff through, although I don't look forward to doing more full width elm. I like the fact that you can buy any parts for it, and the parts list and repair manual are online on the DeWalt site - it's always good when the manufacturer expects you to want to work on and maintain your own tools.

If I had the space and money I would buy a Wadkin, although you're a bit limited if you only have single phase as I do.

Alec