Mini Forwarders For Sale?

TreeNuts

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't believe the prices of the Alstor 8x8! We're talking £45k minimum, then there's the extras.

Hoping that the Kranman Bison comes in cheaper. Will keep you all posted. Actually, will add a list of all the researched models and average prices in a few days.

You won't believe the prices of the Alstor 8x8! We're talking £45k minimum, then there's the extras.

Hoping that the Kranman Bison comes in cheaper. Will keep you all posted. Actually, will add a list of all the researched models and average prices in a few days.

Wow that is a lot! Have you considered an alpine tractor with a forestry winch and driven trailer? If you cannot get to the wood with the trailer you can winch it out. Do you consider the purpose built forwarders to be that much better?

Wow that is a lot! Have you considered an alpine tractor with a forestry winch and driven trailer? If you cannot get to the wood with the trailer you can winch it out. Do you consider the purpose built forwarders to be that much better?

The Alpine tractor and trailer was one of the first combo alternatives I came accross and considered (still in the running.) The only advantage to the Alstor that I can see is that it is 8X8, but would the extra 25k-ish justify the trailer traction...probably not. The Alstor seems suited for the larger, more expensive operations, whereas the Alpine tractor would be cheaper to run, maintain, and purchase.

The Alstor 8x8 is now £45,000 + VAT. Oh Er!! I would check and see expected service lifespan and fuel use compared to value of contacts/wood moved and see the viable side of a purchase.

Little Japanese/Italian pivot steer mountain tractors would be more cost effective and can be used for Agricultural work.

FC/FE did some work on small machines compared to large draught horses and the animals with custom tools worked more out viable longterm. (purchase cost/insurance/work life span/servicing costs/wood moved/fuel-feed/end of life value)

The Alpine tractor and trailer was one of the first combo alternatives I came accross and considered (still in the running.) The only advantage to the Alstor that I can see is that it is 8X8, but would the extra 25k-ish justify the trailer traction...probably not. The Alstor seems suited for the larger, more expensive operations, whereas the Alpine tractor would be cheaper to run, maintain, and purchase.

But you can also get a driven trailer for the alpine. KRANMAN do one which runs off the tractor hydraulics. Sort of makes it 8x8? I think it only has one speed - not matched to the tractor - but I reckon you only put it on to get up the tricky slopes.

FC/FE did some work on small machines compared to large draught horses and the animals with custom tools worked more out viable longterm. (purchase cost/insurance/work life span/servicing costs/wood moved/fuel-feed/end of life value)

Traditional loggers i would agree on this one too, as people get all the wrong information about horses from happy hackers exctra,

i would say that most prople do like to be able to turn the key of walk a way leaving a machine sitting there it sitting there, :lol: partly because the kit is very spicilised in extrating timber, and there for they struggle to find work for it at times, and one of the only pices if machinery that come to is a tractor based unit that can be used to can also be used agri work when forestry work in short supply, but they are also highly spiclsed too cope with forestry work so they tend to be parked up as there no point using due to the shear cost of adapting another one when you could have had twice as much work out of it if it had not been used for agri work.

you can just about do the same with a horse (turn the key off and walk away) buy turning it out to the feild for a while, you still have to check them daily and it only takes 5 minutes at the most, and its also good for them, unlike a machine. this is the down side of a horse. the cost of keeping a horse is far lower that most realise, as you can keep a horse on just over an acre (though most horse owners fail dramtaicaly at this due to there lack of grass managment so need over 2 acres, this is my biggest thing that bug bugs me about horse owners at times lol), yes shalter exctra as well so to keep exctra and if youworking them daily most of the time you should be able to get a crop of hay off the sone of that area to. so the only things you would need to buy would be some extra hard feed for when they working hard, but if you dont manage your grass it cost lots more in sumplatry feeding lol hence why people say horses cost lots as the owners dont manage there feilds too well,

the vet bills exctra are not bad to bad if you catch the problem early just as with any machine, so the cost to care for a horse for a year is about, £1000,

and the bigest benifit of a horse is it versitilly in a wood in the jobs they can carry out, be it singing using a logarch, forwarder (even ones mounted with a crane.) bracken rolling exctra, the they faily quik to singging timber out of the wood as they are able to chose lots of diffrtent paths . then there the benifit to the wood to of less damage to the eco system it also been lighty scarified to, no racks are need so you reduce the chance of wind throw, the list could go on,

and with secondary extraction by forwarder be it a horse drawn or a machine the use of horses in woods is still a very viable method eccomicaly in it own right let alone all the other benifits,

it is also your friend in the

Now how manny of you have pets, that cover there cost of keeping them, you have them oftern as a compaions and take them to work to sit in a cab all day. :lol: well you get to work with your horse it gets to know you as his master, the comunate with you as well (just like dogs dogs), they got voice activated controls giving hand free control (no manchine can do that), you can also ride it too giveing access to lots of other fun things in the way of hobbies to do to,

i would agree that a lot of do a lot of things in forestry with out machines i just feel horses of over looked in comiersial forestry at times,

not just that a machine will decrease in value while a horse will increase in value the more work it done to a certian extent and can also provide a replacment if they alow too :thumbup::thumbup:

If looking at grants, most of those currently available will provide up to 50%. However, they are usually quite specific what it can be used for, you need three quotes for each item of equipment you wish to purchase and you have to buy it yourself before claiming the grant money so that may involve short term financing from somewhere.