Wing Cuts are a Good idea!

MOG

Hey,

as title says. i was doing a large crane removal today. 2 trees right next to each other Pin oak and English oak. me in one and another climber in other tree. so we were taking it in turns with the crane.

i was doing step cuts with wings in to remove peices and the other climber was tiny little under cut and then back cut. The difference between the two was quite something. as you would think one was tearing all over the place, twisting and putting force on the saw, were it shouldnt.

but it was pretty cool to be able to exactly watch what was going at the same level and work out or try work out what i think would happen. if you are doing crane work or training. great idea to get up and have a look and can get some good pic's too. (unfortualetly i didnt:confused1:)

anyways wings cuts are a gd idea, i think pretty much in most stituations. its just a laziness and poor training not to do them.

Mog

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

as title says. i was doing a large crane removal today. 2 trees right next to each other Pin oak and English oak. me in one and another climber in other tree. so we were taking it in turns with the crane.

i was doing step cuts with wings in to remove peices and the other climber was tiny little under cut and then back cut. The difference between the two was quite something. as you would think one was tearing all over the place, twisting and putting force on the saw, were it shouldnt.

but it was pretty cool to be able to exactly watch what was going at the same level and work out or try work out what i think would happen. if you are doing crane work or training. great idea to get up and have a look and can get some good pic's too. (unfortualetly i didnt:confused1:)

Mog

I don't think they're good ALL the time. Sometimes, if you're trying to turn a tree or use the weight of a leaning limb to pull it around from the direction it wants to fall, a wing cut can reduce that control you have over the direction. I can't comment on crane work as I really don't do any but I know in felling and directing of limbs sometimes you need all the holding wood you can get. I've seen a hinge tear right out of a wing cut when it should have held.

anyways wings cuts are a gd idea, i think pretty much in most stituations. its just a laziness and poor training not to do them.

What's a wing cut? I have an image in my head but I think I use a different name.

Small cuts at the side of the Gob cut to make the bark break away and stop it holding on(like Euc and willows are the worse)

Does that make sense?

Why are you using holding wood when craning?? I thought "wing cuts" were only used for felling cuts.

Were you standing laterals up before they were lifted clear??

When craining I try to have no holding at all, just cutting clean through.

A wing cut requires you to make a bore cut through the center o the tree right ? seems risky to do that when you could do a simple snap cut, and as long as your cuts are parallel with the lean it shouldn't pinch the saw. I've never made a wing cut so mabye I'll go do it and see how they work.

Why are you using holding wood when craning?? I thought "wing cuts" were only used for felling cuts.

Were you standing laterals up before they were lifted clear??

When craining I try to have no holding at all, just cutting clean through.

same here mate....:thumbup: