How many files do you go through?

Daniël Bos

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sharpened my 36" bar twice, one of the times I needed 30 strokes to get the cutters back sharp. Didn't enjoy that. I then did a 20" bar with it. I think it's blunt now as I've done a few other chains with it too now.

30 strokes? WTF did you hit? Don't you hate trees like that, hit a nail, sharpen, hit another, every stroke of the file is your time and profit going down the drain.:thumbdown:

30 strokes? WTF did you hit? Don't you hate trees like that, hit a nail, sharpen, hit another, every stroke of the file is your time and profit going down the drain.:thumbdown:

A gutter downspout bracket. Made of iron. Covered with 30-40 years of growth. It took a chunk out of one tooth so they all had to come down. Not happy!

A gutter downspout bracket. Made of iron. Covered with 30-40 years of growth. It took a chunk out of one tooth so they all had to come down. Not happy!

One tooth? Stuff that, wouldn't bother changing so many others but then I'm a bit slack like that. I once used a 7/32 file for probably over 100 sharpenings on a 16" bar! I did wonder why I was struggling so much lol! Probably 6 on the equivilent now.

Keep a barrel of old chain and files - weigh it in.

Wouldn't have bothered to cut them all back to match one tooth. You'd never have noticed it cutting.

It took a chunk out of one tooth so they all had to come down. Not happy!

Wouldn't have bothered to cut them all back to match one tooth. You'd never have noticed it cutting.

Rob, as Graham said, but more because it shouldn't cut any different than the others if its sharpened correctly and rakers are set.

This was proved years ago by a guy on one of the american forums, when he fitted a new chain but filed all the cutters on one side right down the wear limits. He set all the rakers and the saw still cut straight.

Agree that files dont seem to last as long as 20 yrs ago

BUT getting through 2 files to sharpen a chain????????????????

I presume you know not ever to let a file touch the cutter on the return stroke?

And 30 strokes on a cutter...must be a blunt file. If I did 30 stroke I wouldnt have a cutter left (OK slight exaggeration!)

Oregon files btw