recession or no different??????

jamesw

the problem with this as I see it,

Confidence & reluctance

there are those who can spend but are waiting, just in case they can buy it cheaper in a few weeks/months,

cash flows are drying up for many businesses large & small ,

good & poor ones alike this will weed out those unable to stand & may leave a stronger retail/service base,

Many have simply lost confidence , therefore are hesitant to do most things, scared of there own shadow,the real concern is are we (MEDIA led) talking ourselfs into a depression. Glass Half empty etc !!

without some line drawn under this, then things are going to bumble along for quite some months yet, around March next year will be a very interesting imo

the stock markets are the first to lead.

Edited by Yorkshireman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MFI gone under, Woolworths in recivership and DSG Retail (PC World and Curry's) asking for a 1bn goverment handout I'd say we are in the **** !

Firms i've been speaking to are struggling but i agree with Iain alot of it is media driven hype forcing people not to spend. I can't blame them though with so much uncertainty.

I'd say the media have A LOT to do with it all.

I mean atm we are better off, cheaper fuel, cheaper mortgage cost of food,drink and goods are dropping.

I think that most people are hanging on to there money because they think its going to get really bad and we will all end up queing for a loaf of bread like they did in Russia 15 years ago:001_smile:

Although its a bad do that the economy is only strong when everyone is debted up to the eye balls :sad:

MFI gone under, Woolworths in recivership

Media spin again. Woolworths have been in difficulties for ages, cheap end of the market with low margins, still being seen off by Tesco on price.

MFI- always been expensive and low on quality, then spent a fotune on new image and it did not pay off.

The media spin is endless. BT- loads of job losses, but in reality they cut their work force in winter anyway. I could go on.

Try listening to Radio 4 and run a company, enough to make you jump off a cliff:sad:

I think one way the recession can affect smaller businesses like ours is bad debt, I managed to collect a cheque today off a client who has owed me for over three months, it was about 5K. I had to virtually stand over him while he wrote it in the end. 5K may not be be enough to break the bank but perhaps if it was 10K and then the chipper breaks down and you loose a few days and struggle to find the cash for a repair, suddenly even with a full order book you could be in trouble. I'm certainly a lot happier now I've got it... I just hope it clears:scared1:

I think one way the recession can affect smaller businesses like ours is bad debt, I managed to collect a cheque today off a client who has owed me for over three months, it was about 5K. I had to virtually stand over him while he wrote it in the end. 5K may not be be enough to break the bank but perhaps if it was 10K and then the chipper breaks down and you loose a few days and struggle to find the cash for a repair, suddenly even with a full order book you could be in trouble. I'm certainly a lot happier now I've got it... I just hope it clears:scared1:

Time for me to go through the list of outstanding payments.

Must be owed about 10k+ from about 10 different people. :sad:

MFI gone under, Woolworths in recivership

Media spin again. Woolworths have been in difficulties for ages, cheap end of the market with low margins, still being seen off by Tesco on price.

Woolworth failure is down to very,very poor management, their is a place for them IF they are run correctly. I don't think they will disappear.

I think many of the businesses that fail over the coming months have only kept going as we have been in a boom, their failure is down to unsustainable business models that as only worked because of cheap credit and continual growth, IMO.

Woolworth failure is down to very,very poor management, their is a place for them IF they are run correctly. I don't think they will disappear.

I think many of the businesses that fail over the coming months have only kept going as we have been in a boom, their failure is down to unsustainable business models that as only worked because of cheap credit and continual growth, IMO.

I agree. Over the last 15 years, there has been a lack of emphasis on SUSTAINABLE business, in favour of 'growth'.

Far better to be small and profitable than big and unsustainable.

running a business when everything is good is easy

the true test is when its not easy

" sorts the BOYS from the Men " from springs to mind

theres an old saying IF BUSINESS WAS EASY THEN EVERYONE WOULD DO IT !!

well boys & girls ' it aint easy '

there has been recently massive encouragement to

' start your own business '

be your own boss

the problem with that is, when theres not enough money or the shite hits the fan the the buck stops with the boss !!

couple that with the credit give away frenzy ' which FEELs Good ' that happen over the last 3 years , massive debt rising year on year ,

in the housing market alone the first time buyer has effectively been unable to buy in many parts of the country for 5 years, streching LTv mortgages beyond obsurd, then credit card give aways

I mean a credit card availability of more than someones annual salary then add on store cards , loans, mortgages = disaster & what do people faced with an inabiliaty to pay do GET ANOTHER BLOODY CREDIT CARD to pay them of with

UTTER MADNES

Edited by Yorkshireman

We have not noticed any difference as yet but it will catch up eventually and I would a fool to think otherwise. I employ 12 lads full time so we get through a fair bit of work.

Our diary is full of enquiries every day but we have been round a long time so I guess that helps. I have had lots of one man bands and smaller teams asking for work.

We do a lot of winter site clearance for developers in preparation for the following year. Most have not turned a blade of grass on last years sites yet so we will short of that work this time which is where we get our bigger winter jobs.

I am hoping to get through to the spring and that things will have stabilised by then.