Christians on arbtalk?

Matt Butler

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, not been on here for a couple of days, just found this thread(about an hour ago - lots of posts!)

Here's my take:

I am a Christian. :thumbup:

I often say that I hate religion. To me religion conjures up connotations of ritual, duty and conformity.:thumbdown:

Christianity to me is all about the person of Jesus. He was a mans man who said what he meant, wasn't scared about opposing the staus quo and those in authority. He was no pansy - drove out the money changers from the temple with a whip :thumbup:

The fact is that Jesus of Nazareth was, born, lived and was executed on a cross around 2000 years ago. I believe that we each need to decide who or what we think He was or is.

He was either

a)a mad man, who was insane and didn't know what he was saying;

b)a bad man, who was misleading people

c)he was who he said he was - the Son of God.

I am a follower of Jesus because I believe he is who he said he was.

I believe that because I have tried to 'go it alone' and do life without him. Without my eyes on him and living my life as he taught I screwed up big time! I've messed up relationships by deciding I knew better than Him.

When I turned back to Him, my whole focus on life changed again and everything makes more sense.

Life is still sh1t sometimes, as it always will be. It doesn't get much worse than the last couple of months.

Jesus never said that it will be easy; if it was an easy life as a Christian I guess more people would be one:sneaky2:

My motivation isn't heaven or eternal life; it is primarily having meaning and purpose in life now. I aim to life as Jesus taught, and grow in (sacrificial) love for Him and the other people we're on earth with.

(Sorry for the essay!)

Thanks for the 'essay', could not have put it better, thanks!

Life has been ups and downs, but whenever we have turned back to Jesus, life gets better, the peace is like nothing else, it is so cool to be 50 ft up a tree and KNOW he is with you and LOVES you for real!

its a shame this thread is going down this route, was doing very well till the latest few posts.

now it is as might have been expected, it was nice while it lasted, always nice to be surprised by tolerance, I shall keep that thought/feeling and leave now.

was it the religion? NO it was done by MEN, cloth was coincidental

Safe.

Out of interest have people on the forum been in the same area with a person and ever felt a strange evil feeling? We have twice. (Once seconds before someone pulled a large hunting knife and tried to stab me in Derbyshire and once with a person in Norway who had come to visit us for a meal with his wife and we found out later had caused most of the terrible hassle towards us in the village)

You've felt it then. Know exactly what you're talking about...

Hi, not been on here for a couple of days, just found this thread(about an hour ago - lots of posts!)

Here's my take:

I am a Christian. :thumbup:

I often say that I hate religion. To me religion conjures up connotations of ritual, duty and conformity.:thumbdown:

Christianity to me is all about the person of Jesus. He was a mans man who said what he meant, wasn't scared about opposing the staus quo and those in authority. He was no pansy - drove out the money changers from the temple with a whip

The fact is that Jesus of Nazareth was, born, lived and was executed on a cross around 2000 years ago. I believe that we each need to decide who or what we think He was or is.

He was either

a)a mad man, who was insane and didn't know what he was saying;

b)a bad man, who was misleading people

c)he was who he said he was - the Son of God.

I am a follower of Jesus because I believe he is who he said he was.

I believe that because I have tried to 'go it alone' and do life without him. Without my eyes on him and living my life as he taught I screwed up big time! I've messed up relationships by deciding I knew better than Him.

When I turned back to Him, my whole focus on life changed again and everything makes more sense.

Life is still sh1t sometimes, as it always will be. It doesn't get much worse than the last couple of months.

Jesus never said that it will be easy; if it was an easy life as a Christian I guess more people would be one:sneaky2:

My motivation isn't heaven or eternal life; it is primarily having meaning and purpose in life now. I aim to life as Jesus taught, and grow in (sacrificial) love for Him and the other people we're on earth with.

(Sorry for the essay!)

Really well put bud.

some seem to immediatly get angry as soon as the subject arises

indeed

I like Hawthorns post, of all the pro-Christian posts it makes the most sense to me from the religious aspect. :thumbup1:

dito on andy's views about hawthorns post.

if all christians expressed themselves as you do, perhaps they would have a better rep.

Good points.

Imagine when religion was born, say christianity, dark times, when man was much more ferrel and barbaric say.

what a wonderful way of saying stop killing eachother and love thy nieghbour, and if you dont youll burn in hell so you best start believing!

bit of social crowd control from a few shrewd dudes if you ask me.:001_smile:

I prefer the paganistic seasonal green man herne the hunter type system, representing the nature of the earths force and what it is to be making a living from the land.

I would and do favour the way of living Hamadryad talks about too. The peace and rest that is found when we are close to nature doing what our ancestors did through history is a spiritual link to our origin. At the top of a tree, deep in the woods, on the beach or cliffs, as far from modern life as you can be.

The challenges of the modern world are very real and are increasingly acute. No god is going to come and save us. We are a blink of an eye to the planet we live on but the legacy we leave is becoming something that will linger much longer.

Each day the damage we do to the ecosystem we live in accelerates and the results of this impact on our world more and more. The further our lives move from a natural existence the more distanced we are from the reality that we cannot exist alone.

The time when the natural world could be plundered because there are plenty more fish in the sea is gone. The more our numbers grow the more species we loose. Is there only so much life our planet can support? Of course, every resource we have is finite and should be respected as such.

Isn't it about time we stopped looking to the gods as confirmation we are above nature and started worshiping the force that really gives us life?

In stead of asking are you a Christian, try asking are you someone that lives on this planet and would like their future generations to do so with the same fortune we are lucky enough to be blessed with.

Give up religion and take up reverence and respect for nature.

You still get to preach and be a hypocrite.

I would and do favour the way of living Hamadryad talks about too. The peace and rest that is found when we are close to nature doing what our ancestors did through history is a spiritual link to our origin. At the top of a tree, deep in the woods, on the beach or cliffs, as far from modern life as you can be.

The challenges of the modern world are very real and are increasingly acute. No god is going to come and save us. We are a blink of an eye to the planet we live on but the legacy we leave is becoming something that will linger much longer.

Each day the damage we do to the ecosystem we live in accelerates and the results of this impact on our world more and more. The further our lives move from a natural existence the more distanced we are from the reality that we cannot exist alone.

The time when the natural world could be plundered because there are plenty more fish in the sea is gone. The more our numbers grow the more species we loose. Is there only so much life our planet can support? Of course, every resource we have is finite and should be respected as such.

Isn't it about time we stopped looking to the gods as confirmation we are above nature and started worshiping the force that really gives us life?

In stead of asking are you a Christian, try asking are you someone that lives on this planet and would like their future generations to do so with the same fortune we are lucky enough to be blessed with.

Give up religion and take up reverence and respect for nature.

You still get to preach and be a hypocrite.

I am unafraid these dyas of mans effects, life re distributed and re evolved after the meteors that saw an end to the reign of dinosaurs, when we have raped the earth and killed our own kind off things will once more be natural. Just not in its present form.

life has a tenacity