Christians on arbtalk?

Matt Butler

Sorry Matt, there dont seem to be that many.

I would like to think you can start another thread along the same lines that will this time only be answered by like minded people.

I hope that that if you do, then the large band of 'un-christians' (including me) will respect you and not reply

Edit, sorry, relates to the OP.

Edited by GardenKit

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People should have (like it said in the bible) a freedom of choice to believe in all the religions of the world (including tree spirits) and not have it forced onto them as children. Religious views have and still are causing more problems around the world than solving them. Screwing people's minds up with much nonsense. Tribal people managed fine until missionaries arrived telling them otherwise.

All "christian" churches have different views from those around and think the direction it's taken is the correct one.

I speak from personal experience of growing up in a Methodist Minister's upbringing and don't believe in "GOD" at all having looked at this in depth.

We live life in as honest a direction as possible without needing this and don't like the forced nature of religions and looking down on people who don't believe.

I had to write this post several times and it's personal facts and not intended to offend. (I hope)

Interesting thread :001_smile:

Butler, didn't you say you were going to bed an hour ago..?! :001_huh::001_tt2:

I went to schools where we had chapel every day and twice on Sundays until the age of 12, my next school was attached to Worcester Cathedral. My wife is Catholic, my kids go to a church school, we got married in church, my kids are all baptised [littlest at harvest festival last year], I'd class our local vicar as a close family friend, we do christmas, easter, pancake day and I like to support our local church. Our best friends are heavily involved with a evangelical church in Brum and I like to live a good Christian life.

All that said. I don't believe a word of it. I dislike organised religion intensely, it is used as control or an excuse or both and the bible is nothing more than a story book. I don't pray when I'm in church, I don't sing the hymns or take the wafer, I don't join in because I feel obliged to because I'm there and the vicar knows how I feel but appreciates that I support the church for what it is, ie a great pillar of support in our rural community for those who need it. It doesn't need to be in the name of god and I don't need to be a hypocrite to support it.

So it doesn't mean that I can't pick out the good parts of our current chosen native religion and live by them. I try to put others first and everyone round here knows that if they're ever in need they can always ask us and no matter what, we will do everything we can. In all honesty, I'm could even be a better 'christian' than many card carrying religionists, I don't go in for gay-bashing, I don't discount other peoples beliefs or try to convert them to my own.

So, when is a Christian not a Christian....? When they're just a nice human being I suppose.... :001_huh:

So its all because you can't sing and don't like wafer? lol