Talk about kicking yourself

powcaddy

Reading paper today could not believe the price ???????

had to be far to cheap,never the less rang about it tonight was sold to a guy from preston as i spoke to the old dear on the phone-turned out to be a geniune retired farmers pickup,local to me aswell

annoyed is not the word as that is the type of vehicle im after

http://www.farmersguardian.com/classified_details.asp?adcode=409196

farmers don't often give you bargains. Did you see what condition it was in? Low mileage, yes, but if he's been driving it round the farm through slurry and all sorts, it might have been totally rotten.

Almost certainly the case !!

powcaddy,

never buy any vehicle from a farmer or builder.

There are thousands of crewcab pickups being sold by yuppies who bought them as SUVs and businessmen who bought them for tax reasons, they've never been off road or towed anything. Farmers 4x4s have spent most their lives off road.

As for the d22 issue I've owned a 54 Kingcab version from new, its now on 70,000 miles and been towing almost everyday, it has not needed one bit of maintenance other than oil change/usual service etc. The problem with the bearing in the conrod could be confined to a single small batch. I know a landscaper who has a d22 from new 53 plate with 110,000 on the clock no problems.

If your put off by the d22, what about a Mitsubishi L200? or Daihatsu Fourtrack? you can pick up low mileage 2001/2002 Fourtacks for the £2000/£2500 mark, excellent vehicles that are rated to tow 3.5 ton. Many of them have never worked a day in their lives.

Edited by scotspine1

sorry i havnt got back to you powcaddy, mates nivara is 2.5K high mileage but tidy condition.

if i were buying a crewcab, id go for one where someones brought it to get the lifestyle-inner city muppet!

go for one without a towbar, and get one fitted myself-that way you know it hasnt been used to pull heavy trailers for possibly, every mile of its life!

If your put off by the d22, what about a Mitsubishi L200? or Daihatsu Fourtrack? you can pick up low mileage 2001/2002 Fourtacks for the £2000/£2500 mark, excellent vehicles that are rated to tow 3.5 ton. Many of them have never worked a day in their lives.

How do the Fourtracks compare to Landrovers, off-road and for towing? I like my Landrover, but it's getting on a bit, and anything decent with a Tdi in it means tying up an awful lot of money..plus decent ones seem to be very popular with thieves.

How do the Fourtracks compare to Landrovers, off-road and for towing? I like my Landrover, but it's getting on a bit, and anything decent with a Tdi in it means tying up an awful lot of money..plus decent ones seem to be very popular with thieves.

Bought a 1998 swb 2.8tdi Fourtrack Fieldman a couple of years back, 60K on the clock, tidy condition, no problems so far other than new glow plugs and uprated rear suspension - £60 on maintenance in 2 years. Its good offroad/woodland, but really needs decent mud tyres, only use it for towing a 1 ton chipper. Doesn't have the same power as a Defender, wouldn't like to see it towing more than a couple of tons though its rated to tow 3.5t!

Think the long wheel base would be better for towing. Its a better drive than a Defender, much better visibilty and more room in the cab. Would look for one about 2002 though if buying now.

Most important is that its good for reversing the chipper up narrow driveways and has plenty of flat areas on the dash for coffee/sandwiches etc. :001_tongue:

dahootsi.jpg.d14e9c0b8336b10ba7a0fc3dc3e44a07.jpg

Edited by scotspine1