Are gloves safe?

sam walton

Today i was doing a site clearance on a construction site. When we arrived we were given our normal induction at the site office and the site manager insisted that we must wear gloves when working. I'm not a fan of wearing gloves because i think it's safer without. yes they might protect you from a few bramble or hawthorn scratches but it's amazing how much tighter you have to hold the saw just to keep your grip, my left arm was fully boxed and how much hotter they make you! To me this is not a very efficient way to work, after an hour or so I had to take them off before I had accident. So why can someone who 's probably never even used a saw before tell me that it's safer to do my job whilst wearing gloves?

Got to agree here- HAVS is a big problem, gloves keep yr hands warm and reduce vibration/circulation problems that lead to nerve damage, a good grippy pair of rubberised gloves are god up a tree ( specsh in the wet) plus keep conifer sap / starling **** of yr samwidges 4 later -sorry but I always use them:001_smile:

If you're talking chainsaw use on the ground then gloves conforming to EN 381-7 are required by AFAG 301. If you're going to ignore this advice, on which the HSE would base any assessment of whether you have taken reasonable steps to ensure your safety, you've better have a fully documented and thorough risk assessment to explain why. And that RA will need to look at both the risk of cutting your hand and the risk of HAVS.

In other situations things are different. Climbing in chainsaw gloves IME is near impossible because you just can't handle the karabiners. But thin sticky grip things I always found great.

If you're using swung tools (axe, long arm slasher, bill hook) I would say gloves are not safe as they impair your grip. Sticky grip style gloves you might get away with.

Beyond the recommendations of AFAG 301 for saw use, it's going to come down to your risk assessment.