My new toy.

Giles

According to our mog dealer "it's not mogs and red,It's any machine and red". His advice

a mog and chipper is an harvester. Chip into the bin and your ok,go back and load it

with yesterdays chip and you can't use red.

It's a mine field,the only way each of us will find out is when we get pullled.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to our mog dealer "it's not mogs and red,It's any machine and red". His advice

a mog and chipper is an harvester. Chip into the bin and your ok,go back and load it

with yesterdays chip and you can't use red.

It's a mine field,the only way each of us will find out is when we get pullled.

IMO the fact that treework i.e treesurgery or arb work is not classed as forestry would point to this being wrong. It seems that some people are manipulating the rules to fit an industry or occupation that enjoys the benefit of rebated fuels.

The term harvester in any situation applies surely to something that is harvesting a crop in either agriculture , horticulture or forestry . I have never found a HMRC document that includes treesugery etc. if someone else has then i would like to read it and will stand corrected.

AHHHH This old Chestnut !!

First don't take Mog dealers word, arbtalk word, mate down the roads word or anything for gospel. It is YOUR responsible to satisfy yourself that you are acting within the law.

I have been pulled for red and i got away with it, i can't be bothered typing it all out again just do a search on here.

As part of my new job i have visited hundreads of tree surgeons across the country and this subject invariable comes up if they have a Mog, the ones that have been pulled have got away with it because although on intial inspection it would appear they are breaking the law there is NOTHING difinitive to pin on the and as Dave says until it goes to court nobody will know for sure.

One guy got pulled and had VOSA and HMCE come out to his yard, they say going through documents and cross referencing for over 2 hours and couldn't make a descion.

In the end the HMCE officer gave this tree surgeon his card telling him it wasn't a get out of free card but if he was pulled to present it to the stopping officer so he could call him and clarify the situation.

The officer said he would come back to the tree surgeon when he had the definitive answer and that was over a year ago now.

Me personally i registered and ran my Mog as an agricultural vehicle but i ran it on white towards the end. It was still a viable option run on white. Some have said i shouldn't have done this as i was admitting i knew it was wrong to run on red.

Have fun !

AHHHH This old Chestnut !!

First don't take Mog dealers word, arbtalk word, mate down the roads word or anything for gospel. It is YOUR responsible to satisfy yourself that you are acting within the law.

I have been pulled for red and i got away with it, i can't be bothered typing it all out again just do a search on here.

As part of my new job i have visited hundreads of tree surgeons across the country and this subject invariable comes up if they have a Mog, the ones that have been pulled have got away with it because although on intial inspection it would appear they are breaking the law there is NOTHING difinitive to pin on the and as Dave says until it goes to court nobody will know for sure.

One guy got pulled and had VOSA and HMCE come out to his yard, they say going through documents and cross referencing for over 2 hours and couldn't make a descion.

In the end the HMCE officer gave this tree surgeon his card telling him it wasn't a get out of free card but if he was pulled to present it to the stopping officer so he could call him and clarify the situation.

The officer said he would come back to the tree surgeon when he had the definitive answer and that was over a year ago now.

Me personally i registered and ran my Mog as an agricultural vehicle but i ran it on white towards the end. It was still a viable option run on white. Some have said i shouldn't have done this as i was admitting i knew it was wrong to run on red.

Have fun !

In a nut shell mate!!

As Skyhuck says, there's no way of really knowing without a test case. Recently near here a farmer was warned off for running on red whilst taking stuff to the local bonfire for November the 5th. This seems pretty pedantic to me and so I suppose the real issue is who stops you and what mood he's in.

My old boss ran his on red as an agri vehicle. In a different case he was able to buy land, use it for tree surgery machinery storage and build a house on it even though it had an agricultural tie on the use of land. He was able to prove that tree surgery is agriculture and so he got planning consent to build, due to previous test case going in favour of the tree surgeon.

Maybe that test case is enough to prove this matter of red diesel also?

sorry to open up this can of worms:blushing:

i asked the question as i like the idea of a unimog with all its benefits but have noticed that a lot of people around this area have been getting shot of theirs!

:ohmy:didn't realise i would start this debate

What’s the date on that letter? I have a book that says the world is flat but the consensus of wisdom seems to say that may not be the case any more.:001_smile::001_smile:

I also have emails about a year old from the revenue policy unit, saying in line with the revised schedule1 (statute law) that you can’t carry chip or logs ON the mog but can carry them in a trailer.

Andy