Last Beech Standing

David Humphries

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does a light thin and reduction actually achieve anything in terms of reducing sail?

As part of a staged retrenchment, I believe it would.

Return management going on here.

All be it over time, this tree grew up along with it's brothers adapting it's canopy dynamics to the dampening effect of the other trees around it.

Now they are no longer there, It's prudent to believe the canopy is under far greater torsion than it would have been, had the others survived.

As part of a staged retrenchment, I believe it would.

Return management going on here.

All be it over time, this tree grew up along with it's brothers adapting it's canopy dynamics to the dampening effect of the other trees around it.

Now they are no longer there, It's prudent to believe the canopy is under far greater torsion than it would have been, had the others survived.

I would assume that this is also the case for the root system aswell...I wonder whether the first pic , first post is an oldieworldy record of the situation in years gone by?

To reiterate the point in answer to Peter, I too believe that quite modest reductions and light thins will have a significant effect on the tree crowns stability....which is well worth exploiting in a situation like this as a staged, retrenchment process is desirable for physiological reasons whilst having the result of altering apical dominance and hopefully promoting a secondary crown generation....The overall weight distribution quite possibly very relevant depending on the root systems history??

Nice work....

Interesting post with good background info. I work for a LA where we have a few large parks that have many similar mature Beech trees that have or had the presents of Meripilus. There has always been a generally attitude of management to felling many Beech trees that show some crown dieback and the presents of Meripulus. Having seen some beauties go over the years I am keen to learn much more of the true picture known at present. From reading posts on this site there seems to be many people holding back on the felling of such trees. Am I right in saying that this fungi feed on dead/dieing roots (and the process of root growth and the recycling of root material is an ongoing process aided by Meripulus). The reasons that this fungi is present in large amounts is in fact down to other factors (In my case poor drainage = water logging and compaction of soil there by suffocating the tree roots and many beneficially soil organisms, also there may be possible lack of soil nutrients). Ok so want I am looking for is some further reading or books that can support these claims as approaching management with information that " I read on the internet” will not change there views. I really can see the need for further investigation of the extent of root decay and soil aeration to improve soil structure but many old school people may not. Also as regards to the benefits of reduction on regrowth and the health improvements any pointers would be appreciated. Cheers Steve

Interesting this one, I've seen some big beeches which have had meripilus for years and almost dead canopies and still not fall over ( one in an exposed location ) . On the other hand I have also seen ones which have fallen over that had little or no crown dieback.

I have also noticed that where they have fallen over most of the the roots which have rotted off are the ones around 50cm downand below heading into the subsoil and not so much the ones nearer the surface as pictured above. (maybe the surface roots have more sap flow and are therefore more resistant?) So the rot may be worse than you think... on the other hand I am basing this on just two fallen trees that I had to clear up.

Ok so want I am looking for is some further reading or books that can support these claims as approaching management with information that " I read on the internet” will not change there views. I really can see the need for further investigation of the extent of root decay and soil aeration to improve soil structure but many old school people may not. Also as regards to the benefits of reduction on regrowth and the health improvements any pointers would be appreciated. Cheers Steve

To be honest Steve, you can read till the cows come home.

I see the path to enlightenment is by keeping abreast of developments.

For instance, tommorows Meripilus seminar at Wimpole Hall.

Speakers to include;

Londsdale, Bellet Travers, Forbes Laird, Cowan and Greig

These guys are shooting from the hip of current research.

Places for the day have been available for a fair while.

Well worth the investment imo.