Last Beech Standing

David Humphries

Speakers to include;

Londsdale, Bellet Travers, Forbes Laird, Cowan and Greig

These guys are shooting from the hip of current research.

Places for the day have been available for a fair while.

Well worth the investment imo.

Cheers, I did see that advertised on here and looks very interesting, unfortunately am just the person on the tools and work would not support that. If possible any good points brought up at the talk I would be interested to hear, if that’s not taking the p*s! cheers steve

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would fell that!!!when ive seen beach fail with merrip they have severed about 5 meters or more from the trunk the investigation it looks like you stopped to close,maybe if he had gone a bit further out the real impact would be seen but from what ive seen its bad enough !

i would fell that!!!when ive seen beach fail with merrip they have severed about 5 meters or more from the trunk the investigation it looks like you stopped to close,maybe if he had gone a bit further out the real impact would be seen but from what ive seen its bad enough !

:dito:

I have one in my lake that I didn't think was too bad, August 3 years ago slight wind over she went :thumbdown:

Did you envisage something abit more like this would be beneficial, Matty ? :wink:

Further trial pits were carried out at targets where decay was considered = no decay.

DSC02119.jpg.f1609b950a205aead28d0368cf947dba.jpg

DSC02110.jpg.f8ff618c857fcfd2ab12423d2535d48a.jpg

Edited by Monkey-D

Although i completly understand what your trying to achieve i would have taken a different stance on the management of the site. Given that it is a publicly accessable area instead of using the financial resources as you have i would have removed the tree and replaced. This is just my opinion but i have been on the recieving end of a phone call to say that a tree has fallen over and killed someone. The tree in question was known to have specific areas of concern and was being actively managed with a timescale for replacement. So when it comes to trees and public safety, i'm afraid the tree is quite often going to get it.

I'll say this chaps that beech isn't going to fall over in the near future from root failure, the roots on that tree are as healthy and vigorous as they get.

The only root decay we found, was on a very few roots that were under main structural roots near the truck, this decay is to be expected , its no different to a little dead wood in the crown..

I'll put my neck on the line here, we fell far too many trees, because we see merrip fruit on the buttress! yep and I'm as guilty as the next tree surgery contractor! having excavated and carried out an extensive root investigation, there IMO is no argument for its keeping..

You know lads, when I contracted we felled hundreds of beech, with merrip, and ground out hundreds of beech stumps, I can't recall whilst grinding out all those stumps, ANY trees huge amounts of scary rotten roots EVER!

Edited by Lee Winger

I still think the pics in post 3 would give me enough reson to fell that.

Ive tried somthing very simular with a very heavy reduction as well, the crown regrowth was amazing unfortunietly the fact it still ended up on its side was not, i seem to remember in particular one side of the root plate looking like the pics in post 3 the other side was not to bad at all and there was plenty of fibres roots all over but you could really smell the decay on the root plate... any way if there is no targets why not do what you have done but in my opinion trees like that near roads and houses are not exceptable.

Matty, you may be right.

I would concur with Lee though, that had you been there, you may see the pictoral evidence in a different light with the reality of onsite experience as opposed to off site experience.

Just returned from the Meripilus seminar at Wimpole hall.

Some very notable experts have suggested that there may well be two ( possibly more) seperate species of Meripilus.

One Pathnogenic and One seemingly benign.

I will say however, that this info is based on observation, NO scientific study has taken place as yet.

If there is some truth to this, just think for a minute ......................how many thousands of mature Beech have we all fellled due to possible ignorance.

Ofcourse assess your Risk and Target, but whilst I personally have the inclination and ability, I will go down the route of further investigation before putting on my black cap :sad:

Hopefully Marcus or Andrew may expand on this from a far more scientific aproach here or in other threads

Stay tuned :001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

If there is some truth to this, just think for a minute ......................how many thousands of mature Beech have we all fellled due to possible ignorance.

And how many lives have been save by the prompt and responsible felling of diseased trees?

Could I live with felling a deseased tree that "maybe" had some years left in it? Yes, I fell trees for a living, not a problem.

Could I live with recommending the retention of a deseased tree that then failed and killed or seriously injured some one? NO!!!!!!!!!