uneccessary branch removals?

Pete Tattam

I disagree, A fellow colleague in this industry, Doctor Edward F. Gillman from the University of Florida has dedicated his professional life teaching proper pruning techniques for trees and has done extensive research at the U of F to back up his findings. His most recent publication An Illustrated guide to pruning 3rd edition is the finest edition I have read on this subject matter and is easily read and understood. :thumbup1: Full disclosure, Doctor Gillman asked me about a year if I would be willing to provide Two pictures of my product for this publication. I did so and I receive no funding or income from the sale of this book.:001_smile: Perhaps if you get a chance to read some of Doctor Gillmans works you may have a different opinion.

easy-lift guy

what huck said was nothing to do with proper pruning techniques. he merely pointed out that we as tree surgeons mostly remove/prune trees for the benefit of people/customers.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what huck said was nothing to do with proper pruning techniques. he merely pointed out that we as tree surgeons mostly remove/prune trees for the benefit of people/customers.

Wow, now I am :confused1: At least here in the States most Arborist or Tree surgeons generally prune trees for both the benefit and health of the tree and the owner. Removal of trees can and should be done when other options have been exhausted. Exotic and invasive species should always be removed due to many problems associated with them:thumbup1: I look forward to other opinions. even from Skyhook.

easy-lift guy

Just had a look at the route

http://www.london2012.com/documents/venue-documents/cycling-road-race-route.pdf

and i cant help but notice Ive "vandalised" loads of trees all along that route mostly because people want better views more light etc

The question is, is it right to "vandalise" the trees for a one day event? It's a bit different to reducing trees in someone's garden because they want light and views all year round. It's an interesting conundrum. I know it's a one day event, but it might well bring enjoyment to millions of people, which swings the heavy handed pruning a bit more in its favour.

I was playing devil's advocate really. As a big fan I relish the better views and tv coverage the tree work will give and I also agree that most work done by arbs is for the benefit of the public, but that is generally in gardens/parks etc. In "the wild" should it be a different? Go Team SKY!!!

Course it's right, imagine the uproar if thousands of people buy tickets only to get there and have their view blocked by trees and branches.

You cannot stop progress and you cannot stop trees being felled/pruned to please the masses, it's just the way it is, I'm sure the powers that be will have a re plant scheme in place. So it's all good

I was playing devil's advocate really. As a big fan I relish the better views and tv coverage the tree work will give and I also agree that most work done by arbs is for the benefit of the public, but that is generally in gardens/parks etc. In "the wild" should it be a different? Go Team SKY!!!

Does any one know the specific roads where the pruning has been a bit heavy handed ?

Not sure how much of that route would be considered wild, maybe the zig zags as i assume there going down there .

Course it's right, imagine the uproar if thousands of people buy tickets only to get there and have their view blocked by trees and branches.

Don't know the arrangements for Olympic race but the grand tours are all free, tickets are a dirty word. TDF is world's largest free sporting event. I can't wait for July.:biggrin:

Wow, now I am :confused1: At least here in the States most Arborist or Tree surgeons generally prune trees for both the benefit and health of the tree and the owner. Removal of trees can and should be done when other options have been exhausted. Exotic and invasive species should always be removed due to many problems associated with them:thumbup1: I look forward to other opinions. even from Skyhook.

easy-lift guy

It could be argued that even pruning that benefits the individual tree, i.e. pruning over extended limbs or a tree with weak unions, is not good for the evolution of trees as a whole, because these trees will live longer and pass on the poor form genes, producing more poor trees.

We can see this in the human population, with genetic problems becoming more and more come as modern medicine allowing those that have them to live longer and reproduce.

It could be argued that even pruning that benefits the individual tree, i.e. pruning over extended limbs or a tree with weak unions, is not good for the evolution of trees as a whole, because these trees will live longer and pass on the poor form genes, producing more poor trees.

We can see this in the human population, with genetic problems becoming more and more come as modern medicine allowing those that have them to live longer and reproduce.

I believe in pruning a tree with what one has to work with all things considered. Some will take better than others. Sound cultural practices including proper watering and feeding along with pruning for the life of the tree will better insure a long healthy life for the tree. I have never heard that pruning over extended limbs or a tree with weak unions is not good for the evolution of the trees as a whole?. I believe that the work of proper pruning works with the present type tree in question and not carry over by seed into future generations

easy-lift guy