uneccessary branch removals?

Pete Tattam

You compare leaves to hair :confused1:

I am a little shocked at your apparent total lack of even very basic knowledge regarding tree biology:001_huh:, the reason unnecessary branch removal reduces the trees ability to feed is because leaves are how a tree does feed, its called photosynthesis.

If you remove foliage from a tree it must replace those lost leaves in order to feed, hence the rapid regrowth.

It's called an analogy, believe it or not trees have an ability to grow back after being trimmed or pruned back. Yes it takes a lot of energy to recover from pruning and some trees do respond better that others depending on many factors. FYI I do have a basic knowledge of Biology and understand photosynthesis. It seems earlier on in this thread that a company has stated it has the job of clearing said trees in question. Maybe there work does not meet your standards or perhaps you have a different philosophy regarding care and maintenance?. TBH your replies to this thread left me a little shocked as well, so much for the shock factor.

easy-lift guy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw recently that, in order for more spectators to view the Olympic road race, a lot of trees have been removed along the route at Box Hill in Surrey. When I was in France a few years ago I saw large scale removal of branches

Quoted as above. I grew up very close to boxhill, once did a job for a relative dragging yew cord off the hillside for him to sell to turners etc, thigh deep in mud while a welsh contractors machines heaped huge piles of historic bow makers yew onto a huge fire. Progress. Gr8 Britain...:confused1:

It could be argued that even pruning that benefits the individual tree, i.e. pruning over extended limbs or a tree with weak unions, is not good for the evolution of trees as a whole, because these trees will live longer and pass on the poor form genes, producing more poor trees.

We can see this in the human population, with genetic problems becoming more and more come as modern medicine allowing those that have them to live longer and reproduce.

That could indeed be argued, but as a counterpoint we could look at mankinds selection of species and strains for use in monocropping.

Sometimes we don't understand the benefits of the individual as we are trained to think in a particular way, so traditionally foresters have concentrated on yield hence blanket non-native block planting, a local authority here used to pollard street trees, now they don't pollard or even manage the regrowth so well, the new trend is to plant massively disproportianate amounts of fastigiate Carpinus.

In plants which were once spurned we may discover a valuable trait such as resistance to specific pest, disease, drought etc. This is driving the work to protect biological diversity and develop seed banks. In humans illness can spur a new phase of growth - many stories of cancer patients undergoing a whole change in their outlook.

Road races make an odd spectator sport, if you go to see you only get a tiny glimpse into the race which is why tv coverage is so good. If, as others have said, there is a management plan which is favouring native species it could be useful, if people get the chance to witness the courage of a Jonny Hoogerland [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCTYyQ1ovC8&feature=related]Johnny Hoogerland 'Tour De Johnny' 2011 - YouTube[/ame] (see 1.30 not even complaining!) or the tenacity of a Thomas Voeckler then perhaps it is of benefit to the human spirit?

T

Road races make an odd spectator sport, if you go to see you only get a tiny glimpse into the race which is why tv coverage is so good. If, as others have said, there is a management plan which is favouring native species it could be useful, if people get the chance to witness the courage of a Jonny Hoogerland

(see 1.30 not even complaining!) or the tenacity of a Thomas Voeckler then perhaps it is of benefit to the human spirit?
In the US we have NASCAR where they whip around a tiny track. I went to one and got dizzy watching but was struck by the courage and tenacity needed to round those corners, to time a passing maneuver for the victory. Driver works in concert with machine (and the men that make the machine work as it does), and wind, centrifugal force, light, thrust, pure physics.

Paeans aside, maybe a .1% improvement in image transmission is not worth the loss of assets that would benefit us and our kids the rest of our days.

Where are those TPOs when we need them?

Is there an arborist on the committees planning these works?

Or at least a resident who can see beyond the Games' impact?

And is the "exotics out!" card being played out of hand?

Edited by treeseer