Landy geeks; GVW tech needed on 110's

18 stoner

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The heavy duty chassis was available as an option and was usually specked by utility companies, it involved 2 or 3mm plates being welded down the entire chassis, but was a rust trap as water gets between the 2 plates and rusts away nicely, hence my 130 rebuild :)

VOSA have said they can not issue a new plate the plate is for me to get sorted but they check that the alterations have been made.

HI SCRAGGS is your chassis a heavy duty we have ex gas 110 L reg 200 tdi I'm thinking of doing our to a 3500kgs the army use heavy duty chassis thanks jon :thumbup:

Simmonites have this in not sure if it's a HD model tho. Plenty others on ebay at the moment. eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Have had a look Brett and its a nice truck, but Im not VAT reg, and in total that truck comes in over 13k for me. Im looking at trucks 3-5 years newer with less miles and one owner for 5-6k without tipper.

go on a diet and then no issues with the GVW:thumbup:

Dont panic Bob, I wont be driving it!!!!

It can be done, I have done it a couple of times

The 90, 110 and 130 can all be plated to 3499kg, it’s within the design weight of the vehicle so it’s a paper exercise, just fill in section 22 on your V5 and send it to Swansea.

Now thats the type of thing I was after. Did you need to fit any parts?

You could go onto one of the lanrover forums where you will get tons of advice from peeps who have done just about everything.

Done that mate, seems to be more help here TBH!

The problem comes with getting a new plate stamped, there are loads of plates available on the net but land rover has a special stamp for 2 of the characters on the plate, also it's stamped from the back so the letters stand up on the front, and atm I am struggling to find a plate the right size to replace the one on the brake servo.

I am currently trying to persuade land rover to stamp a new plate which I understand they can do but are reluctant to do so.

Axle weights for the 130 are GVW 3500kg, GTW 7000kg, front axle 1580kg and rear axle 2200kg but should be the same or the 110.

I called into Vosa at Ipswich to discuss the uprate and they said they would be happy with it and just get a plate made by someone else, but I would rather have one that looks official.

This could explain why there are some landies around that have 3499kgs on the log book, but still a 3050 plate on the servo. Only trouble is, if stopped by VOSA at roadside, its the plate they will go by if put over a bridge, so Im with you on trying to get the "proper" plate.

HI SCRAGGS is your chassis a heavy duty we have ex gas 110 L reg 200 tdi I'm thinking of doing our to a 3500kgs the army use heavy duty chassis thanks jon :thumbup:

I couldn't get a strengthened already galvanised 130 chassis from the usual suppliers, it appears none of them do them in either 110 or 130, speaking to one of our local landy places the HD chassis is never seen on standard versions including tippers, so I have gone with a standard one.

Be carefull if you go down the new galv chassis route as the one made by richards although made from thicker plate are not type approved (don't know if that has changed now), the ones from marsland are made by GKN who supply chassis to land rover, so there is no type approval issue.

I would imagine if you want a HD chassis it will have to come from land rover.

Now thats the type of thing I was after. Did you need to fit any parts?

No parts needed, it’s a very minor weight change (relatively speaking) and as I said it is within the design weight of the vehicle.

It is four years since I did any, we did six in the space of half a year, one was sent to VOSA for inspection (quick look, tick box, pay fee go home), the others all went through without any trouble.

No parts needed, it’s a very minor weight change (relatively speaking) and as I said it is within the design weight of the vehicle.

It is four years since I did any, we did six in the space of half a year, one was sent to VOSA for inspection (quick look, tick box, pay fee go home), the others all went through without any trouble.

Cheers, many thanks.

Did you manage to get another "official" plate made up, and what sort of cost was involved with DVLA & VOSA?

It is definately worth ringing Drake's he ain't a website type of bloke and will probably know where a suitable vehicle is. I don't know what issues Dean had but 3 of my close friends have bought 110's from him and none have been dissapointed. If I needed another Landy I'd call him straight away.

You could also contact Marc at the Defender Centre Stourbridge they'll have suitable vehicles they'll be at the dearer end of the scale but they come with a 6 month warranty and I have heard a lot of good reports about his customer service.

Somebody said all LWB landy's have a Salisbury rear axle I am afraid this ain't true anymore you need to double check TD5's as my works one a 56 plate has standard Rover rear axle as does the 110DC HD we have on a 57 plate.