Good news from VOSA!

Peter

Quite

Ed's Ifor is 12 feet, mine is 16 feet, If we both do a full load of beech which one of us is most likley going to jail?:laugh1:

Ed as he is towing with a heap of a landie thats 25ft tall and there will probably be the splitter hung off the back of the ifor as well with no light board :lol::lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the info and its reference on page 3, Treewolf.

My car was clocked on the A9 last week at 72mph. But the letter states the speed for that class should have been 50mph.

As it's a Ranger Supercab 4x4 under 2040kg unladen, it's dual purpose and can do 60mph on single carriageway.

So I wonder what will happen as the NIP is factually incorrect, even though an offence was allegedly committed.

I wasn't the driver by the way. :sneaky2:

I know it's a blast from the past but I missed this thread the first time around....

Pete, do you know whether this GTW rule applies to post '97 licenses...?

I was looking at buying a trailer and I was considering one specifically plated to the add up to 3.5t behind my 2t Discovery.... but if it genuinely is that it's GTW as weighed which determines legality, then I'll just buy a decent second hand trailer and make sure I keep below the maximum gross train weight.....

Thanks for the info and its reference on page 3, Treewolf.

My car was clocked on the A9 last week at 72mph. But the letter states the speed for that class should have been 50mph.

As it's a Ranger Supercab 4x4 under 2040kg unladen, it's dual purpose and can do 60mph on single carriageway.

So I wonder what will happen as the NIP is factually incorrect, even though an offence was allegedly committed.

I wasn't the driver by the way. :sneaky2:

I had a similar thing but was told that because the vehicle was registered as a LGV and not private that the 50mph rule applies..

Treequip has answered this, the only realistic option is to fit a tacho, it's not too onerous as long as you remember to switch it to break when you are working on other things and don't drive more than 4 hours on a journey. I tend to forget on the rare occasions I do have a vehicle with one as I mostly drive a small van.

You might enjoy the 100km radius exemption for forestry if you haul your logs directly from a woodland which is in your occupation.

I expect the majority of people delivering logs in vehicles over 3.5 tonnes combination weight do so without tachos just as many arborists have a burn pile at their yards...

So. Tacho aside. Would the same instance except, with a 4x4 2 seat pickup [2 high, 4 high, high and low box etc] doing the same be exempt from O licensing? I think it would, as dual purpose vehicles [ vehicles powered by and engine with the means to distribute power to all wheels, or if 2wheel drive, have passenger seats in the back etc] are seen as exempt - owing to their offroad and carriage capability so the 2.7t ( 3.5t for landrovers) rule does not apply, just don't go over your combined cab and trailer weight, plated trailer or not!

Suppose so, though I di read somewhere that ifor trailers are designed so alevel load is equal to there capacity. Just seems more sensible legally wise to have it the other way, well to me anyway.

the 'level load' is water! used in the on paper desgin of trailers and truck bodies, so axel weights ect are all ok:001_cool:

I know it's a blast from the past but I missed this thread the first time around....

Pete, do you know whether this GTW rule applies to post '97 licenses...?

I was looking at buying a trailer and I was considering one specifically plated to the add up to 3.5t behind my 2t Discovery.... but if it genuinely is that it's GTW as weighed which determines legality, then I'll just buy a decent second hand trailer and make sure I keep below the maximum gross train weight.....

Its not specifically mentioned in the letter, not 100% sure tbh.

Although I should point out that its 4250kg, as in 3500 MAM vehicle towing 750kg MAM trailer or another combination as long as its within the towing capacity of the vehicle and trailer doesnt weigh more than towing vehicle.

So. Tacho aside. Would the same instance except, with a 4x4 2 seat pickup [2 high, 4 high, high and low box etc] doing the same be exempt from O licensing? I think it would, as dual purpose vehicles [ vehicles powered by and engine with the means to distribute power to all wheels, or if 2wheel drive, have passenger seats in the back etc] are seen as exempt - owing to their offroad and carriage capability so the 2.7t ( 3.5t for landrovers) rule does not apply, just don't go over your combined cab and trailer weight, plated trailer or not!

I'll be a bit careful here as it's not clear to me which "same" instance. If your 4x4 qualifies as a dual purpose (the unladen weight of less than 2040kg with a modern diesel double cab may be the gotcha here) then you may tow a trailer (own goods or hire and reward) and not need an operator's licence. You will need a tacho if the gross train weight exceeds 3.5 tonnes unless you come under one of the exemptions for radius when carrying working tools but this exemption would not apply to deliveries of any sort.