Jap Pick up trucks

Minotaur

Downsides - you can tell its two wheel drive on the road, especially in the wet / ice; and as others have said, dont think it would be up to fulfilling its three ton towing capacity. Funnily enough, I was just having this conversation with a mate today who was trying to decide if he should change his four year old Discovery Commercial. "Remember what you did a few months back" I said, "You wouldn't do that with any other pick up!" He came in the yard towing his plant trailer and an item of machinery and we put it on the weigh bridge - all up it was just under 8 tons - 2.7 for the Discovery and just over five for the trailer and load. "Couldn't tell it was there" he said!!

Five tonne trailer - I call that a little over the legal limit!

Thanks for all the replies.

Still undecided - I really like Hilux's but the current models don't seem to be up the the workman like quality of the old model. Although some of the Aussie sites might say different.

One of my worries with a Lux would be the official tow weight of 2250kg, but they are plated to 2800kg, so a bit puzzling!?!?

Search continues - let me say I agree that a 79 series Cruiser would walk it, but unfortunately there are'nt any over here inthe UK, and christ knows how long and how much it would take to import one. Although my brother does live in Sydney - mmmmmmmm, maybe gonna give him a call!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a navara d22 and d40. The d22, which is basically the np300, tows ok, but it blew its engine and after being repaired the second stage injectors are shot so it's very sluggish. Drives alright, nice torquey engine and was good off road. It was used a lot with 800l of water mounted in the back and a boom on the front driving all over golf courses. And it performed well.

The d40 is very much a cruiser more than a work truck. We have a 55 plate crew cab. Driven to Italy 3 times in it. It is plated to tow 2.8t but I don't think the clutch is happy with more than half that.

We put an extra leaf in the back springs. Changed the ride completely, it's a lot harder and with general grabber tyres on slightly greasy roads it will play donuts if you are too hard. There is plenty power, there is some turbo lag, which was sorted with a tun it chip and made it brilliant. However that blew its engine last year, fried all it's seals and went nuts. Not cheap to fix, bought a secondhand engine instead.

The d40 is about the same as the d22 in off road performance, it's good, but not a patch n the defender!

Ok

this is how my list would rank:

TLC 79 series - just go and go

LR 130 - all round ability & perm 4x4

LR110 - as above

Hilux current model - just so reliable, quite capable, but poor towing capacity

L200 - all round ability

Ford Ranger/Mazda current - all round performance but some probs

Old Hilux - maybe ranks high but starting to age, but reliable, tow capacity not great.

NP300 - working truck but reliability issues, (engines go pop)

Navara current - too many electrics, and a bit of a toy?

Be honest, I have no experience or knowledge others like the Isuzu - but open to advice

Sam - sorry but the faults of LR against the reknown reliability of a 79 knocks the British Brick off top spot.

I am mainly looking for opinions of the Jap kit as I have lots of LR experience having driven a LR130 London to Cape Town, RSA.

Ta

Sam - sorry but the faults of LR against the reknown reliability of a 79 knocks the British Brick off top spot.

All I will say on this is that a well maintained LR will out perform, hold it's value better and last a lot longer than ANYTHING on the market. The only thing that comes close is the older Toyotas.

The d22 navara between 2002 and 2005 had engine problems.

The NP300 is the name given to the models sold after 2008?ish, not too many around but if you find one they shouldn't have the same engine fault as the d22.

Nothing wrong with the d40 in my opinion, not had any trouble with mine and it gets overloaded, abused and used as a tow tug.

The only issue I have with them is that 4H locks the centre diff do you can't really use it on Tarmac. Same applies to both d40 and d22.

i have a l200 single cab 2001 its takes the weight well tows no problem but likes a drink. i have owned it 8/9 years and its still going strong. i did have a drive of a new shape one and preferred mine

2011-11-29142856.jpg

I take it there were no corners on your way home? Haha