climber wage

edwood

But that's not completely the staff costing you. Evens one man band has overheads. Do the same for costs relevant to staff (insurance, training, ppe) and it should be significantly less.

That is roughly what it costs me a day to run my business that supported around 5 guys full time last year. I am using my figures as I don't have anyone elses. If I paid the wages that were mentioned I would still have similar running costs.

Others costs will vary but I don't think we run an inefficient company, infact per man we will probably be cheaper then many 3 men teams as some costs don't increase as much such as insurance and advertising.

The trouble is there will always be guys like yourself willing to do a weekender with two mates for £400! That will depress the market..:001_tongue: So the market will not pay the £700 a day you need to pay staff those rates.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/business-management/74737-how-much-dismantle-9.html#post1126921

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is roughly what it costs me a day to run my business that supported around 5 guys full time last year. I am using my figures as I don't have anyone elses. If I paid the wages that were mentioned I would still have similar running costs.

Others costs will vary but I don't think we run an inefficient company, infact per man we will probably be cheaper then many 3 men teams as some costs don't increase as much such as insurance and advertising.

The trouble is there will always be guys like yourself willing to do a weekender with two mates for £400! That will depress the market..:001_tongue: So the market will not pay the £700 a day you need to pay staff those rates.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/business-management/74737-how-much-dismantle-9.html#post1126921

If I worried about taking work from others I'd have to claim benefits.

You never done a weekender?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

My point was with Ben, he can't pay an employed climber a high figure due to the amount he already invests in them. A self employed climber gets a higher wage but covers these costs himself.

Self employed subbies should obviously get more per day then an employee, however you still will have overheads .

Assuming you could achieve a day rate of £500 for a 3 man team

(Climber £175 second climber £150, groundie £100)

That would give you £75 a day or £16,500 a year to pay for everything...

Self employed subbies should obviously get more per day then an employee, however you still will have overheads .

Assuming you could achieve a day rate of £500 for a 3 man team

(Climber £175 second climber £150, groundie £100)

That would give you £75 a day or £16,500 a year to pay for everything...

You misunderstand mate. I was agreeing with you here.

If I worried about taking work from others I'd have to claim benefits.

You never done a weekender?

I don't have a problem with it, just pointing out that the figures sometimes quoted for "what a climber is worth" don't add up in my world...

Everyone would like to think they are worth more :)

My point I guess was that an employed climber hears what a SE climber is on and thinks " well I'm worth that!" Without realising the risks and hardships of being SE.

Case of the grass is greener perhaps.

Maybe I wasn't particularly coherent, it's been a long day :)

People earn what they can earn I'm

Afraid chaps, i quoted a small conifer today, 2 hours work, drop it sned it load it gone, not worth doing for less than £100, then off on the next job, generally I charge 150 a day, I'm not the fastest climber...but I no what I can get done in a day etc, but I'd want that for grounding too..I feel a groundie is jus as important as a climber, and I'm self employed run my own kit van insurance etc, the upkeep has to come from somewhere, who wants to pay all that dollar in training, ppe, chainsaws, n all the other stuff to earn a 1a a day then be taxed on it? May as we'll work in tesco.

Point is we're all in the game to earn/make money so we charge what we can.