Drift HD Camera

RC0

Change your youtube settings to HD for better quality....bottom right corner of the video screen. Otherwise its gonna look like crrap

Some footage from an Arbutus Tree removal just recently: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaEzKZGDL_4]Treework - Drift HD camera.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

The camera is the Drift HD: Drift HD Camera - Small HD Action Camera From Drift Innovation - PointofViewCameras Vancouver BC Canada

The wide angled lens makes for dizzy viewing at times until you get used it, then its actually watchable in the sense that you get to see everything that the climber sees.

The HD obviously brings out the colour better than my old camera, but having said that it also looks a little blurry and lacks the sharpness in motion. The sound is very weak and nasal; the files are massive; the wrist remote was not reliable at all as I realised later that I'd missed lots of clips where I thought it was recording....maybe I'll try a new battery and a plug-in microphone next time.

The camera unit itself which fixes on top of your helmet is surprisingly light and compact.... and the domed shape lens doesn't seem to collect the sawdust which is also a big plus for shooting treework.

Overall I think its pretty good value for money, and a relatively cheap option for anyone looking to make a budget video to promote their business etc.

The tree-work in the video is nothing too fast or exciting....I just tried to show a little climbing and organizing to showcase the wide field-of-view that the lens offers. Arbutus can be of very slow, taper (as was this one), yet evidently very strong...much like a Euc in fact except with bushier foliage.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dave, Drew. Looking forward to trying the Unicender next.

Heres another tree from later that afternoon.

Another climber had stripped it up to about 80ft the previous day. It was a back-leaner so I worked the underside only, to shift the favour of the remaning 40ft which I could then fold out in 2 x 20ft sections. Beyond that it was a case of wedging over some shorter longs on the way back down.

Again, switch the youtube settings to HD to appreciate what the Drift Camera is all about. Thanks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY69B0c_Pks]Back leaning Fir removal - YouTube[/ame]

Nice videos. The angle of view is excellent, and as some one who has never done anything like that its interesting to see the whole scene almost as you saw it. I imagine you could watch these back and iron out any faults you may be making while working up there.

As for the blurry's or lag, I would think you could sort that out by changing recording quality and frames per second on the camera, it does seem to offer a lot of different settings. Thanks for posting, I learnt some stuff watching those.

Thanks alot.

Hey Pete. Yeah I’ve made a few changes here and there which can certainly work in your favour on conifers especially. I need to get the big west-coast dogs and a full-wrap on the 390 though, makes a huge difference especially for the thick bark Douglas firs etc.

In the second video the home-owner was a faller of 30 years and his son designed the grappling hook, sold at Wespur I think....they both involved with a big heli-logging company now. I was just making a point there, as otherwise there was no real benefit in those cuts on that occasion.