log cutting

bradshaw groundcare

hi we collect about 7 to 10 ton of logs for cutting and splitting a year. i am thinking about getting a sliding bench saw or firewood processor but dont think we have the need for it with the amount we collect. I have been looking at second hand machines and there not cheap.

at the moment we have been using our ms180 and ms181 on a saw horse. we use a little david brown 780 with a splitter. the 2 chains saw are only small but do the job.

i have been thinking to speed the job up i should buy a larger cc saw.

but which one?

all our machines are stihl but have use echo and husky before but always seen to go back to stihl

which saw do you recommend thanks michael

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi we collect about 7 to 10 ton of logs for cutting and splitting a year. i am thinking about getting a sliding bench saw or firewood processor but dont think we have the need for it with the amount we collect. I have been looking at second hand machines and there not cheap.

at the moment we have been using our ms180 and ms181 on a saw horse. we use a little david brown 780 with a splitter. the 2 chains saw are only small but do the job.

i have been thinking to speed the job up i should buy a larger cc saw.

but which one?

all our machines are stihl but have use echo and husky before but always seen to go back to stihl

which saw do you recommend thanks michael

HI mate husky 576xp there all talking about now thanks jon :thumbup:

Upgrading your saw will make a major difference I have a new ms181 and it stays in the shed unless we need to cut some thing like a root or may be metal in a branch. The ms 181 is very low powered even compared to a ms 260 which is about the same size and weight but has nearly twice the power, the 325 will stay sharp for longer aswell . firewood over 12" I tend to strike up the ms390.

If you are using logs yourself and not selling then a processor will not pay for itself, not directly, might pay on heating bill but not so you would justify it.

There would be no immediate return on buying processor, bet to buy saw another horse or operator, try to see if there is a way in the setup you have that would make production easier. Either by method or layout.

Would another worker who can split/sort the timber they don't have to be trained to do this job so saves more on someone with tickets.

IMO you would be throwing money into something that would be a waste.

Upgrading your saw will make a major difference I have a new ms181 and it stays in the shed unless we need to cut some thing like a root or may be metal in a branch. The ms 181 is very low powered even compared to a ms 260 which is about the same size and weight but has nearly twice the power, the 325 will stay sharp for longer aswell . firewood over 12" I tend to strike up the ms390.

MS181 4.6kg

MS261 5.2kg

That's over 10% heavier and you will feel the difference after half an hours use.

I would like to see the evidence that a larger pitch chain stays sharper for longer than a smaller one. It's news to me- I was of the understanding a lots of factors govern the prolonged sharpness of a chain, but never the difference between a 3/8" LP or .325".