Anyone had experience of a Discovery??

Big T

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can honestly say that yes when the landy was running i loved it, but something would break all the time, cause major problems with work trying to fix dam thing, parts are cheap and its a good job. iv had a ranger since, far better motor, as comfy, reliable, and a good set of tyres ok off road. how many people really need serious off road performance, put jap against landys on same level/general fields there not alot of differance really....

We have one we use for skidding timber out of the wood excellent at it, we fill the back with timber and get 2 dumpy bags worth of timber in there and another 8 dumps worth of wood on our lightweight timber trailer behind it, i,ve opened the pump up on it and pulls fantastic and good on fuel. we stick a dumpy bag full of firewood in the back to deliver, and it,s a 7 seater and Peter uses it as his family car and it cost 450 pounds 2 years a go and so far it,s been unkillable and i want to make one of these:thumbup:

I like that alot!!!!

I have had Japanese trucks all my working career my last 2 l200 trucks where great! First truck l200 4life not a problem second double cab warrior again not a prob recent one got brand new Jan before last again up to date not any problems! Different friends have got land rovers and yes very very really you might get a good one but to be honest they are a over hyped seriously over priced out of date giant mechano sets!!

If it ain't german or jap it's scrap!!!

Can you get an L200 that's 3500kg gross and can tow 3500kg if so I will buy one?? :confused1:

No Japanese sympathiser is ever going to accept anything other than that the harsh, plasticky, rusting, bland, highly depreciating, cart sprung, cheap to buy, expensive to repair rubbish they gamely persist in battling along with is anything other than the best thing since sliced bread, because it's too embarrassing to climb down.... :001_rolleyes: in the same way that no Land Rover fan is ever going to accept they need to fight this one out, because there's no contest, life with a Landy is good.... :001_tt2:

Land Rover owners own up when things break, we don't care, we ain't proud, Oriental 4x4 owners would have you believe that there has never been a break down in any vehicle ever produced around the Pacific.

I know this isn't true but even if it were, I wouldn't buy one, they're just too flimsy for my liking... we went to Wales with a few Discos, RR Sport, Warrior and a Hi Lux... wasn't even tough green laning, but the Jap cars were shocking... too long, suspension too stiff, too much overhang, over-assisted uncommunicative steering and lots of things to snap off.... :laugh1:

If you've decided on a Disco go for it, don't let anyone try to put you off, just go into it with your eyes open, because there genuinely are some very bad ones out there.... but in the same way, there are some belters and £ for £ you won't get more aywhere else... :thumbup1:

Alot of it is down to personal choice I like Disco, toyota Landcruiser, Hilux, Rodeo, even the Mazda if I had to, the only one definately would not want is the

L200 But the last time I drove a new one was 53 plate I thought noisey, high reving, gutless, heavy on fuel, uncomfortable seats, dreadful gearbox, hard jolting rear suspension and servicing every 4500 miles. but like I say its personal choice. I have a disco for work but would not want one for pleasure. Ours has done 150,000 miles of hard work and very little trouble.

our work has just got a ford ranger crew cab and i drove it yesterday for first time, lil bit gutless towing up a long uphill, goes like stink on flat without trailer.

Back seats are worst thing i ever sat in without a doubt. Drivers position wasnt worst ever but could be better.

Had to reverse my trailer into where it lives today, used to doing it with my 90 so ranger was like reversing a bus, actually had to get workmate to make sure i didnt smack either steel gatepost.

I have to say so far the most annoying feature by a million miles is the screenwash tank, whichever idiot designed that needs a serious beating, for gods sake its meant to be a working 4x4 so who ever thought a tiny tank in wise is an idiot! at a guess 1.5 litres cause it was totally dry and i put in a litre bottle of screenwash and got a dribble of water in. its just too stupid for words...........

both discoverys and defenders i have owned and girlfriends mini have larger tanks, along with mums corsa, brothers focus, sisters polo and would u belive the kubota b3030 i drive at work - rant over.

so if you can weild a spanner, do a lil welding, handy with a big hammer buy either a 200 or 300 tdi discovery, i have owned both and were amazing work horses. worked my 200 tdi without mercy, didnt have a straight panel on it including the roof at 176 000 miles when i traded it in.

My experience is that the rear end goes bang all the time when you take it off road. It's a Ladies Landrover......that's what my daughter said when she was 6...coined a phrase in this household.

Other than the fancy skirt, it's pretty much the same as a defender underneath.

No Japanese sympathiser is ever going to accept anything other than that the harsh, plasticky, rusting, bland, highly depreciating, cart sprung, cheap to buy, expensive to repair rubbish they gamely persist in battling along with is anything other than the best thing since sliced bread, because it's too embarrassing to climb down.... :001_rolleyes: in the same way that no Land Rover fan is ever going to accept they need to fight this one out, because there's no contest, life with a Landy is good.... :001_tt2:

Land Rover owners own up when things break, we don't care, we ain't proud, Oriental 4x4 owners would have you believe that there has never been a break down in any vehicle ever produced around the Pacific.

I know this isn't true but even if it were, I wouldn't buy one, they're just too flimsy for my liking... we went to Wales with a few Discos, RR Sport, Warrior and a Hi Lux... wasn't even tough green laning, but the Jap cars were shocking... too long, suspension too stiff, too much overhang, over-assisted uncommunicative steering and lots of things to snap off.... :laugh1:

If you've decided on a Disco go for it, don't let anyone try to put you off, just go into it with your eyes open, because there genuinely are some very bad ones out there.... but in the same way, there are some belters and £ for £ you won't get more aywhere else... :thumbup1:

I,l be the first then ,i am a jap sympathiser, iv had loads of hi luxs and l200 old and new and old landys from ser one up to 200tdi Disco, best truck ever u1200, but i now have a new puma which is just over 1 year old, Hi cap HD, Lots of faults in the first 6mths, but i am now really happy with it, it takes loads of abuse. I will also go as far as to say that i think its as good comfort wise as any jap truck, it will out work a jap truck all day long and i think the reliability issues have now been sorted , how bowt that then ,Its like a Landrover, but nothing like a Landrover, thats how i best discribe the puma.

I have to confess to harbouring a deep desire for a Hi Lux... have done since I was a child... :thumbup1: but I think L200's, of any type, are woefully over-hyped... I accept that with big wheels 'n stuff they can look quite cool, but they don't have a lot of substance behind it...

I think a 110 is a great working truck, their shortcomings are well known and documented and no-one goes into ownership thinking they're buying something which they'll never have to put a spanner to, even a brand fire new one. Which is maybe wrong but that's how it is.... :001_huh:

We all buy what we like and can justify it perfectly reasonably to ourselves, but in just the same way as I wouldn't try to convince someone who wanted an crew cab pick up truck to buy a Land Rover, I wouldn't be persuaded the other way round either. Totally different vehicles which do totally different things. To my mind a Land Rover is a better investment and a more characterful ownership experience, but the sheer numbers of these shiny crewcabs on the road states that they must have very valid good points. :001_huh:

Just none which appeal to me is all... :001_smile: