Show us ya birds !

David Humphries

@Treerover  What birds do you get taking niger?  I've always left a few out but nothing has ever been interested except siskin and we haven't seen those in way too many years.  Even the goldfinches don't touch them but maybe, just maybe, I need to try a fresh batch as we do have goldies here

Jon

• Like 1

@Treerover  What birds do you get taking niger?  I've always left a few out but nothing has ever been interested except siskin and we haven't seen those in way too many years.  Even the goldfinches don't touch them but maybe, just maybe, I need to try a fresh batch as we do have goldies here

Jon

Almost exclusively Goldfinches with the occasional Siskin (but very rarely ) .
I’ve had over 20 Goldfinches on the feeders and on the ground in the snow when I guess other food was more scarce .

The one bird I crave for but have only had once is the Bullfinch.
Always had them in the bird table as a kid but very rarely see them anywhere anymore .

We did used to get flocks of well over fifty , possibly pushing double that, in a huge Sycamore in the neighbouring church yard, but unfortunately I was tasked with removing it last year as half of it died, so that alas is the end of that.
Very sad.
To hear that many all wittering was beautiful
  • Like 3

Right; the niger feeder's getting hot washed and refillled with new seed!

Bullfinches; we used to see a pair about three times a year at the old place in Caterham and we've seen a cock bird twice down here in Sussex.

I've never seen more than a matched pair at the same time; fifty birds - what a sight and sound; I envy you the experience

I'll come back with a result to my niger endeavours; thanks

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

We had them up here for the first time that I remember last year, they stripped the buds off all the fruit trees in the village and then buggered off... I was lucky I got 2 apples, netting bought for this year👍

How many bull finches to you recon on netting then ? 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Macpherson said:

It's netting but made from 2mm twine in 1" squares I've used it before to keep the birds off fruit bushes  and had no tangled birds.. I take it that would be you're worry ?

No matey . It was my inadequate  attempt at a degree of mirth !  I know you are not trapping them 😁

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Cheers, I really only trap Swans and Eagles for the pot😄

Top tip for the swan . Get the biggest onion you can find , stuff it up the swan . Cook the swan long and slow , all day , and when done remove the onion , chuck the swan and eat the onion . 👍

• Haha 4