Selling top handles to non professionals.

Mesterh

The other thing that confuses me is that that I understand they are not be used on the ground, so why do Stihl offer a carving bar?

Can you only use that for carving at height?

carving bar is for the rear handled version of the saw mate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

carving bar is for the rear handled version of the saw mate

Yes thats what I thought, but when i looked a 2011 catalogue to see if there was any wording relevant to the thread, I noticed these words under the MS200T.

"only approved for use with low kickback Picco Micro Comfort 3 saw chain and1/4"Rapid Micro Special saw chain in conjunction with a carving bar

This links the carving bar directly to the MS200T not the MS200 rear handle which is no longer in the book anyway.

Its really not an issue to me but it did seem like a bit of a contradiction to what we have come to believe, unless of course, as I suspect is the case, they are hinting more at using the carving bar as a pruning bar for off ground work rather than wood carving which was my first thought.

Yes thats what I thought, but when i looked a 2011 catalogue to see if there was any wording relevant to the thread, I noticed these words under the MS200T.

"only approved for use with low kickback Picco Micro Comfort 3 saw chain and1/4"Rapid Micro Special saw chain in conjunction with a carving bar

This links the carving bar directly to the MS200T not the MS200 rear handle which is no longer in the book anyway.

Its really not an issue to me but it did seem like a bit of a contradiction to what we have come to believe, unless of course, as I suspect is the case, they are hinting more at using the carving bar as a pruning bar for off ground work rather than wood carving which was my first thought.

ms200 has been replaced with the ms201 now, and the link must be a error on stihls part

As a dealer we have looked into this in the past.

There is no law, Stihl and Husky would like us to make sure the END USER knows how to use one. It's not always the end user buying the saw.

We have to supply saws without tickets sometimes, what when a council or utility company are buying saws. We can't police who is using them on their company, it is their responsibility to make sure their employees know what they are doing.

All we are asked to do is make a decision based on what we have been told/seen with each sale. Their is no definitive answer as everyones situation is different. We sold a 201T to a elderly lady just before xmas, it was a xmas present to her grandson who had just got his tickets from college. Less than 2 mins phoned the college and cleared it - sold the saw.

As a dealer we have looked into this in the past.

There is no law, Stihl and Husky would like us to make sure the END USER knows how to use one. It's not always the end user buying the saw.

We have to supply saws without tickets sometimes, what when a council or utility company are buying saws. We can't police who is using them on their company, it is their responsibility to make sure their employees know what they are doing.

All we are asked to do is make a decision based on what we have been told/seen with each sale. Their is no definitive answer as everyones situation is different. We sold a 201T to a elderly lady just before xmas, it was a xmas present to her grandson who had just got his tickets from college. Less than 2 mins phoned the college and cleared it - sold the saw.

As a company we actively avoid supplying non end users as definitive checks cannot be made due to the reasons you state. In reality supplying a supplier such as a local authority is in effect shifting the responsibility and liability from your company to another.

Re; the elderly lady scenario. Doesn't selling a boxed, non assembled and therefore non PDI'd saw without an operational handover contravene Stihls selling policy anyway? :001_huh:

I only realised recently having read some blurb on the HSE website that Farmers and Woodland owners are exempt from any chainsaw tickets !!! I wonder who has the most accidents with chainsaws??

Had to talk down one of my local farmers recently when I caught him working out of his tractor bucket at full tilt in the air trying to cut of some large branches with his big old farm Stihl saw. He's nearly 70!

I ended up doing the job for him FOC.

As a company we actively avoid supplying non end users as definitive checks cannot be made due to the reasons you state. In reality supplying a supplier such as a local authority is in effect shifting the responsibility and liability from your company to another.

Re; the elderly lady scenario. Doesn't selling a boxed, non assembled and therefore non PDI'd saw without an operational handover contravene Stihls selling policy anyway? :001_huh:

Hi

A lot of local authority have accounts with us and we trust them to make sure the right person is using the correct saw, they wouldn't risk putting the wrong guy in a harness. If you have a large company come on to you that use there guys and subbies that you know have tickets would you not supply them?

The elderly lady one is fine as it is for someone with the relevant qualifications, also a known customer as we had kitted him out in all his PPE when we visited the college.

We keep records of all the people that have the tickets on a database to use as a reference when they return and as proof that we have seen all documents.

If you are working for payment or reward then you are governed by the health and safety at work act. Under such act the use of certain equipment requires a certificate of competence such as chainsaws, others simply require a familiarisation course. This is the only legislation regarding the use of chainsaws. The top handled saws do not have a rear handle so therefor does not comply to British standards for ground use therefor it makes sense that it is only sold to operators with a valid ticket (cs39) to restrict the use of the saw to aerial work which it was clearly designed for:thumbup1:

they say you must not use top handle saws on the ground but they dont say that you cant use massive saw I.E a ms880 you can use it 40ft up with a 30inch bar i say use a saw how you see fit to but dont let anyone catch you doing something wrong by the way i know one guy did got a 2k fine by health n safety for cutting one limb on the ground with his 200t