another 'be careful out there story'

daveindales

Well for the first time in 26 years tree related work I had my first accident. Was taking down a ash tree. Anyway, it was brew time so i came down the tree and my climbing rope was just not quite long enough to reach the ground. I wanted to keep my top anchor point as tree was a bugger to get up so.

got the groundsman to put the ladders up so I could come down. Was only about 6 feet. So I unroped, passed the groundie my saw and got to the second from bottom rung, when the ladders slipped, and I went head first down a six to eight foot banking. I can remember thinking this is going to hurt. Woke up to find paramedics fussing about me and the air ambulance about to land.

Anyway, was flown to hospital (7 mins) examined, 10 or 12 staples in a head wound, a ct scan on my head and chest (results came back ok) . A load of bruising. Other than that I'm ok, but no climbing for a while. Have made a donation to air ambulance and intend to do some fund raising. Apparently, it costs £2500 every time it's called out. To be honest I was not too badly hurt, but seeing as the chopper was already there, and had to go back, it made sense to take a trip in it.

I could have prevented this accident by bringing my longer rope, or spiking down the last couple of feet. Everyone take care out there, it can be a dangerous field to work in.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

Thanks for posting.

Can I ask - How well did the helmet work (or not work) in the event of the tumble?

And I ask out of genuine nosiness - no judgements, promise.

Good question. I can't remember the exact details, but it came off and my head hit the ground. I always have my strap under my chin. It could have been that I lifted the strap as I came down the ladder, or it could have been knocked off as I was falling. I know you should'nt say it, but when your 3 or 4 feet from the ground and decending, you tend to feel pretty safe. It's one more thing to learn never to do again, but like I said I can't remember. To be honest, when the paramedic asked me my age I could'nt remember that

Always when you least expect it. When you are doing stuff with a high potential for harm you are tuned in and make sure nothing goes wrong. Its the little things that you're not worrying about that will get ya. It's bloody hard to watch every little thing day in day out though.

Glad it worked out the way it did and you got a spin in a chopper. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Glad your ok buddy! And good on your supporting the AA.

Having worked alongside Air Ambulances, those guys save countless lives.

The pilots are uber skilled and the para's/trauma doc's are brilliant!

Fix up quick! :)

Edited by Dak
Grammer of a 2 y/o