Ancient Woodland

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as above, the twin bladed stihl ones with the little downturn at the ends of the blades, brilliant on an FS400

The Stihl ones are good but I have found they are not as good as those made but a sister company of Oregon. I can't remember the name now I'm afraid but they are a bit longer and really eat the bramble.

I absolutely loved the chain heads on bramble and was disappointed when they were withdrawn. Then I found the masher blade, oh boy, they really mash. :laugh1:

I would say three to four times more efficient than a tri star blade, maybe more.

the forestry commission provide grants towards preparation of a woodland management plan, i am not sure if your advisor made you aware of this??! the woodland would need to be registered on the Rural Land Register in the first instance.

Min. payment is £1000.

this document could also provide 10 years felling consent and open up opportunities for further grants under EWGS such as Woodland Improvement Grant. Depending on your location either a 50% or 80% contribution could be available via this scheme and would contribute to operations such as ride/open space management, management of non natives eg sycamore depending on extents of colonisation.

i hope this is of help...

a bit like care in the comminty, meals on wheels. in the end we all end up on the fire:sneaky2:

sorry, ill get myself a taxi:lol:

Sorry, had to laugh out loud at that one. I don't live so far from Staveton. Spent the night of my fortieth in the Moroccan room at Butley Priory, practically opposite. I've spent endless hours in those woods. Before I knew for a fact they were special, I could feel in my very being that they were...

Once I stumbled upon a large heap of what looked like olive green missiles around 18 foot long, in the depths of the woods there, Imagine my ex's surprise once I'd discovered they were fibreglass and put one on my shoulder as if to bring it home. They did look like real missiles...

We were there to crawl around photographing deer rutting for her dissertation and believe me the eco system is thriving. Just finished burning the last of my sycamore/macrocarpa mix, if anyone needs to offload some sycamore feel free ( Or macrocarpa!)

I think casual forest users like to see a blend of species, beech, oak, box, holly, sycamore etc. IMO best to keep the veterans secluded somehow, away from the carve your initials in crew although I'm sure a lot of those trees will have met penknives many times before!:blushing:

I've been having a go at brambles the last few days, clearing some patches in the middle of a field we are selling. Had a go with 2 brush cutters. Little cheapo Mculloch one with a tri blade and a big Stihl with the circular blade and both times ended up with a long handled bill hook / slasher.

The problem I find with a brush cutter is that you can sweep away at the base but you cant shift the brambles on top. With a light hand tool you can bash it all out the way as you cut the bases out. Good for getting some frustration out too! Plus quieter and cheaper. I found it just as fast at the end of the day.

I've been having a go at brambles the last few days, clearing some patches in the middle of a field we are selling. Had a go with 2 brush cutters. Little cheapo Mculloch one with a tri blade and a big Stihl with the circular blade and both times ended up with a long handled bill hook / slasher.

The problem I find with a brush cutter is that you can sweep away at the base but you cant shift the brambles on top. With a light hand tool you can bash it all out the way as you cut the bases out. Good for getting some frustration out too! Plus quieter and cheaper. I found it just as fast at the end of the day.

That's crazy talk!

I have done my share of bramble clearing in my fields.

Tips

1;Take off the guard (ensure good face protection!)

2; start at the top of the bramble and sweep down in waves of around a foot or so, till you get to the ground;

Works for me:001_smile: