Stock fence

Hodge

use a boundary clamp with a tirfor or hand winch or do what i do and pull it with the winch on truck or til the wheels are spinning on the mog. With 1 set of monkey strainers you wont be able to pull it evenly also remember to tie the wire around the strainers otherwise if the strainers arent in deep and tight it will spin the post if you just use staples.

I have a bit of stock fencing to put up, I have done quite a bit before but nothing where it needs to be well strained, I have a monkey strainer but just not sure how to use it?? Anyone explain please.

Get your straining posts in, preferably driven in but one way or another get them in as solid as possible and strut them against the direction of strain at both ends of the span.

I assume you are using rylock? If so position the net at one strainer and double secure it top, bottom and middle.

Get a length of plain wire and secure round the straining post at the other end of your span (a twisted eye loop is fine), it is important that the long end comes off the side of the strainer that the net will be secured to, put the loop just above the level you will secure the bottome of the net at. Install the lever end of the monkey strainer on the free end of the wire loop and the fully extended chain on the bottom of the rylock, take a strain, use a set of fencing pliers to tension up the short slack section and double secure to straining post.

Lift your plain wire loop up to just above the top strand of rylock and repeat, watch the strain so as not to overdo it and pull the bottom slack.

Bob's your fathers brother.

Its easier if you use two sets of strainers top and bottom and you can put a bar or clamp on the net, use tirfors, landies, rachet straps or tractors - but if you only have a short length of fencing and dont have any of the ancillaries you can do it fine with one set of monkey strainers - and you don't need HT wire.

Just make sure your straining posts are rock solid and then strut them.

Cheers

mac

buy a btcv book on fencing, gives you the good basic principles of stock fencing, It comes down to how good your straining posts are. A box strainer is the strongest but a strutted strainer is perfectly good in normal conditions. REF monkey strainers, its pretty hard to explain how to use them in writing, but once you have strained it you have to walk the chain grab bits back down the chain by hand in order to release the wire. That didn't make sense did it?:001_smile: