compact tractors?

Dean O

Not sure if I have enough experience to advise. But if it was me I would buy something like a ford 4000 with 4x4 if they do one . I have had a couple of compacts and found them really expensive on parts and a bit light weight. I will buy what I call a big little tractor if that makes sense something 35 hp + with cab not japanese and defo not chinese.

Something like this Steve?

My little ford is very capable only downside is its too big to transport from site to site on a 3.5 tonne trailer.

002.jpg.dec3bc0de019ecd09358bc424e27d399.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by gensetsteve

Not sure if I have enough experience to advise. But if it was me I would buy something like a ford 4000 with 4x4 if they do one . I have had a couple of compacts and found them really expensive on parts and a bit light weight. I will buy what I call a big little tractor if that makes sense something 35 hp + with cab not japanese and defo not chinese.

County made a 4000/4 which was a big wheel little wheel tractor (as opposed to the equal wheeled county's)

I used to drive one for a bloke in Cumbria, it was an awesome little thing would go every where, and had a James Jones logging blade and fitted double drum igland.

Only problem i can see with one of these is that their were not a huge amount made and they are highly desirable on the agricultural show/preservation scene which drives the price up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a look at john deere. a couple of years ago they started making a series of tractor called 5E. bottom of the range (2wd. 55hp) is only about £10k brand new. there will soon be a retro fit and a factory fit cab available.

they're are also just about light and small enough to fit on a trailer behind a 4x4

JohnDeere 5E 3 Cylinder Series Tractors

Compact tractors can be fine working in woods / forests but I believe Alpine Tractors are better as the chassis 'oscillates' in the middle so the wheels can follow the contours of the ground. So they are far more stable and give better traction than a ‘Compact’. Alpine pack a lot of HP into a small package, ie even 80-100hp in under two ton. If you do look at compacts then make sure it has a bit of weight to it and is not a ‘mini’ tractor. Beware of grey imports from Japan, It may well be a Kubota etc but it does not mean you can easily get parts in the UK / EU! Chinese, well I will leave that for you to decide. Plenty of compacts and Alpines working with Chippers, its just a case of matching the Chipper capacity (and weight) to the HP. Below is a picture of a 28hp Branson that weighs 855Kg. 21hp £7950 up to 55hp £12,850and imported by Riko. More details at Riko*UK*::* Tractors . Below that some pictures of a few 35HP AGT Alpines, one with a TP150 Chipper. NB. Make sure the linkage / PTO geometry of a chipper suits the Alpine tractor.

P1010065.jpg.c856f0d27daee130ea955a47690f3d92.jpg

597660ae34d43_AGTTP150.jpg.2d3ced15dc428401b28e1e1f28e8aabb.jpg

597660ae33142_AGT1.jpg.8df7d25823afa7d379bf86dbb2fb7f71.jpg

2800.jpg.cd76c2aee113ff92145b6ace387ad34e.jpg