Taking dogs to work, pet insurance problem

APC

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the record, I'm not an "arb" boyo, I'm a ranger. First hour is litterpick/site check/check fishing tickets etc. Then depending on the job depends on where my dog is. If I'm fencing in a field, coppicing, surfacing, dog is out. If I'm in the tractor then he'll be sat beside me. If I'm in the office, he'll be in there. If I'm doing yard work, he'll be there. If I'm felling or diggering or anywhere near the road, he'll be in the office or caged in the pickup.

I've taken dogs to work before. My boss is fine with it and so is his boss.

Not very nice for the dog is it mate, sitting in your cab most of the day.....

:blushing: sorry Lee it is obvious what your stand point is but... my dog came to work from the first day i had her as a pup, she grew up knowing it as hers and she loves it, never hesitates to jump in and curl up on her seat! i usually give her a run either in the garden i am working or if the customer looks a bit iffy about dogs i take her up the road for a pee and a sniff

... I'll admit that in the early days i worried about her in stuck in there for long periods, but now i crack on with the job and get stuff done. i don't think about her til I'm out of my tree. I've never had a negative comment from a customer or an employer. when she stays at home, she hates it! she thinks i am punishing her and tries to sneak in to the truck when I'm not looking! :thumbup:

i can understand your viewpoint but i have to disagree. My brother has an office job and leaves his dog at home all day every day, gets home late and occasionally walks it round the village. whenever the dog does go out he goes mental and has bitten me twice! i'd much rather have her sat in the van than alone at home going mental! :thumbdown:

Not very nice for the dog is it mate, sitting in your cab most of the day.....

Well part of her (the dog) job is to guard and to be honest she enjoys a better life that I do. When she is with me she is part of the pack and gets a run around whenever possible.

The alternative is to be left in a kennel or house all day. If the weather is too hot I make other arrangements for the dog and the security of my kit.

here is little chap he comes to work every day he wont stay at home , try and touch our gear when i'm not around ouch , only time he dont ride along is private house jobs . i'm self employed so all the bill's go through the books he is part of the team

DSC00030.jpg.04d51cbf0562c2e3386e2e382c15f61c.jpg

Sorry to say but all dogs should not be on site apart from the safety side of things ive seen two dogs in the the last year ran over by there owners and i love dogs have three of them but there's a time and a place for them and its not work.

While I appreciate your point, I think it's down to the organisation and the task. Not every day is "danger" work. Not for me anyway.

A bit of common here.

I live and work in a rural environment, and normally work for people who are dog owners themselves, and always have permission to bring my Lab onto their property (usually plays with their dogs). If they don't want her, she stays at home (hardly ever in five years). Commercial or roadside she stays at home obviously.

She's soft, but growls like a wolf when a certain type come sniffing round the truck (you all know what I mean), and haven't had a single tool nicked on site since I've had her.

I'm not saying every dog is alright to take to work, but I think mine is, given permission, in the right situation.

IMG_0033.jpg.00013ee26ff8402fc7213908a700783f.jpg