Spiking on a lean

Deni

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure if it has been said already but one system i like to use when spiking leaning trees and small dia timber is to take up a couple webbing slings and spare carabs , simply stay on ur pole system but when u get to the point that u want to take out a top or section of timber simply get a webbing sling and choker it off round the stem of the tree , when doing this you need to be sure that you keep the free end at a length that its gust possible to use your spare carab and clip it on to your central attachment point . once you are clipped in then manouver your self untill the sling is tight and your secure , you will not get muach(if anny) movement and it will allow you to make your cuts . Also it is possible that in the event that you need to be rescued it may be possible to use the sling and carab as an anchor point . Another point is that this system is also safe as the sling can be cut away in the event of a rescue being required . Hope this helps and i will try to get some pics if anyone wants them .

Ive used this technique a few times,just have to make sure the bite is on the correct side to stop you sliding round(if you were leaning to your right you would wrap the sling clockwise with the bite to the left of the stem). Sometimes you can put a sling at foot level too to stand in with one foot(put a notch to stop it sliding down). Very rare you will ever need to use techniques like this but may help you out one day. Main thing is to make sure you are happy with your work positioning before you make your cut.If you're not dont do it cos thats how accidents happen.

Learn to knock a top out lower down:biggrin:

haha nice one:thumbup:

I find standing up straight is best as well, using your climbing line choked on the stem to stop you swinging round (works best only in one direction). I also use my knees sometimes (but your spikes have a tendency to slip out if you get the position wrong) standing up straight from them, which gives you a more balanced centre of gravity but can be a bit painful. Thin leaning stems are just a pain full stop. Best way if possible is to anchor into another tree.

You need to stand up straight and lean back a little, which means you let your flip line out a fair bit, this takes a bit of getting used to, but if you don't and try and lean towards the stem you will really struggle.

I've done a fair bit of spiking and I'm with huck on this one. You need to lean back out from the tree and try and stay upright. More chance of your spikes getting a decent purchase and less chance of them flicking out which I find happens when you start crouching or giving it the squirrel death grip. It does take time to get used to though and for sure if you can get an anchor above somewhere then you can start coming round the underside.

I'm sure some time ago I shot a vid, or posted some pics of Mr Bullman doing a beech with a significant lean and about 90' tall, a perfect example of skinning up on the top side of the lean. Took him about 15mins from start to us felling the butt if I recall. I'll see if I can find a link to it or the pics