Chainsaw from MEWP?

Burytreeman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone, does anyone know of a course/assesment relating to using a chainsaw from a mewp? Ideally in the North West? Cheers Tony

Hi there,

That'll be NPTC Unit CS47 (see below) but remember if you have your CS39 & a separate MEWP ticket with IPAF or CITB or Lantra Awards etc. you don't need CS47 (from a HSE point of view.)

Cheers..

Paul

cs47_chainsaw_from_a_mewp_as_june10_v2.pdf

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag up an old post on this...

I have last week passed my cs39 and possess a current IPAF certification for the use of MEWP's (cat 1b and 3b)

I was told by the assessor that I would still need cs47 to operate a saw from a MEWP?

Who is correct here?

Thanks J

Sorry to drag up an old post on this...

I have last week passed my cs39 and possess a current IPAF certification for the use of MEWP's (cat 1b and 3b)

I was told by the assessor that I would still need cs47 to operate a saw from a MEWP?

Who is correct here?

Thanks J

ME...well, as far as I'm concerned of course :biggrin:

Joking apart, I'm pretty sure this is the case as it's a question we've raised before with HSE. The thing about the CS39 is that you now understand the implications of compression and tension wood/branches on aerial sections of the crown...and of course the skills required to use a top-handled saw. Those skills are equally applicable beit from rope n harness or MEWP.

The guy using the ground saw only won;t understand this and hence if this wish to prune from a MEWP they need to do CS47.

Is 'Mr Graham' around or still digging himself out from deepest darkest, or rather snowiest, N. Yorks to offer an opinion??? (cheers Iain.)

Cheers..

Paul

PS Was he/she aware you had a MEWP 'ticket' as that's maybe the confusion?

ME...well, as far as I'm concerned of course :biggrin:

Joking apart, I'm pretty sure this is the case as it's a question we've raised before with HSE. The thing about the CS39 is that you now understand the implications of compression and tension wood/branches on aerial sections of the crown...and of course the skills required to use a top-handled saw. Those skills are equally applicable beit from rope n harness or MEWP.

The guy using the ground saw only won;t understand this and hence if this wish to prune from a MEWP they need to do CS47.

Is 'Mr Graham' around or still digging himself out from deepest darkest, or rather snowiest, N. Yorks to offer an opinion??? (cheers Iain.)

Cheers..

Paul

PS Was he/she aware you had a MEWP 'ticket' as that's maybe the confusion?

Thanks Paul for your quick reply,

Yes the assessor was aware of my IPAF certification as I had the convo with him about it and asked if I needed cs47 if I had 39 and IPAF.

Reading the assessment schedule for 47, it would seem the only real difference is the use of tag lines, especially in the removal of vertical sections? All the set up etc of the MEWP is basically the same as IPAF.

A lot of the 47 schedule reads as per the 39 - especially the risk assessment / tree hazard ID / fuel environmental concerns (30-31) / work area restrictions / removal of trapped saw etc etc.

I am interested to know what the correct answer for this is :confused1:

V6 - thank you for joining my quest for the answer :lol: personally i would choose a back handle saw over a top handle given the MEWP provides a stable platform from which to use a saw and therefore 'probably' the 'least risk' of kick back is with a back handle. Although this is open to personal preference and I suspect you might get answers either way on this?

Thanks all J

Thanks Paul for your quick reply,

Yes the assessor was aware of my IPAF certification as I had the convo with him about it and asked if I needed cs47 if I had 39 and IPAF.

Reading the assessment schedule for 47, it would seem the only real difference is the use of tag lines, especially in the removal of vertical sections? All the set up etc of the MEWP is basically the same as IPAF.

A lot of the 47 schedule reads as per the 39 - especially the risk assessment / tree hazard ID / fuel environmental concerns (30-31) / work area restrictions / removal of trapped saw etc etc.

I am interested to know what the correct answer for this is :confused1:

V6 - thank you for joining my quest for the answer :lol: personally i would choose a back handle saw over a top handle given the MEWP provides a stable platform from which to use a saw and therefore 'probably' the 'least risk' of kick back is with a back handle. Although this is open to personal preference and I suspect you might get answers either way on this?

Thanks all J

I likewise use a rear handled versions from my bucket.... I do have hydraulic, but don't often use.

I'm happy with the 39/mewp ticket variant.

Steve