Barbed Wire. Why?

We've decided to go barbed wire free - should only take us 15 years to remove the damned stuff.

We've started building a dead hedge in the meadow (which we intend to gradually merge/ turn into an edible hedge over the next 5 years). It should be a great tool for encouraging birds to venture out of the woodland, backwards & forwards, and dropping their phosphates over the horticultural area. This kind of thing doesn't seem to happen with barbed wire.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whar did our ancesters do before barb came about used hedges to keep stock in. now hedges are flailed a inch from being destroyed for infection to get in one hedge no use so need a fence. look after hedgerows lay them then just trim them a good defence will outlast a fence 5 times over and cheaper as no materials apart from hazel is needed good stock proof good for wildlife has all the benifits a fence has not. working on a estate now and want to be rid of all barb in the next few years wish it happened more often

a good hedgelayer is cheaper than a tractor and flail or fencing.

also a good thick hedge has good pests that fed on nasty pests so less chemical. it helps barn owls and other raptors good for ground nsting birds and hedge birds vermin proof and a good wind break so less wind scour long live the hedge RIP barb wire

Barbed wire is good stuff.

Livestock will scratch on any suitable hard object, especially posts or strainers.

Barbed wire takes up less land footprint.

As said tight barbed wire is NOT a problem.

Hedges are also good.

However!

Hedgelayers have to be very expensive to maintain or traditionally lay manually.

In my NI experience hedges generally work best along with a sheaugh or ditch or dyke.

Todays society has become stupidly risk averse.

Yet drink too much and still drive very badly (amongst other stupidly dangerous personal activities)

Muldonaghs post was absolutly spot on btw.

As was Timber's above.

I hate barbed

I do a lot of shooting and hunting

Had done dogs nearly killed on the stuff,

If the field has good grass or if no grass wack up a ring feeder with silage the sheep/cattle shouldn't bother to try and get out

Some farmers I know just use plastic stakes and electrics for there milkers ( strip feeding) no barb needed there bloody stuff

Cant understand that with the Dogs, Our dogs negotiate barbed wire fences daily/routinely without harm or issue, mostly diving below the lower barbed.

Of course they be proper Country bred dogs.

Barbed wire fences are also a doddle to climb or cross.

When I work with barbed wire, i.e fencing, but only occassionally mind, I use my bare hands, without incident, incl rolling up the old stuff neatly.

Seriously!

Because of the "body" of the hedge, animals recognise it as a non-crossable boundary much easier. Obviously that only goes for a good, dense hedge with no gaps in.:thumbup1:

Need a hedgelayer?:biggrin:

Have seen cows jump good and bad hedges, have learnt one thing in our suckler herd if a cow wants to be at the other side it will do whatever it can despite the obstacles wether its stock fence, post an rail or hedges even gates and there is no stopping it! Cows are very curious creatures so even if plenty of grass will still jump, its always the odd one its never the whole herd! We use barb to protect the fence like huck says they like to lean over the fence for a different taste such as brambles, elderberry even hedges. By using barb the fence lasts longer.

When I was insurance assessing had herd of cows next to racehorse trainer

Trainer used first class hay and farmer didn't

Herd of cows climbed over fence ( and trainers cars) to get at good quality hay

Barbed wire doesn't stop determined cattle

Farmers slow to adapt

15 years ago james bros (?) bringing in 4x4 2 person vehicles , obviously better than quads for farm use

But its taken 15 years for farmers to start buying them

Ditto barbed wire