The NEW skylotec passo-pl karabiner whats your view???

Rhystree

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH if I had been asked without any info - I would have said this krab was a two-action krab. :blushing:

I've only seen the video, but it looks like a pinch and gate-push to me. I understand that the pinch requires two separate pieces to move on the gate but it's still one pinch from the operator.

I tend to open a Petzl ball krab by pinching the barrel (thus pushing in the green ball), twisting the barrel then pushing the gate. I don't think I could open the gate without a finger pushing against an opposable thumb. To me, this krab is missing the 'twist'.

Having said this, I repeat that I haven't operated one of these new krabs and so haven't much of a feel for the actual movement.

That's very interesting. :biggrin:

So, does the requirement focus more on three moving pieces on the krab, and not three separate 'actions' of the operator?

thats interesting, maybe tomorrow someone in the know will answer that. i think they are being supplied by fletcher stewarts if they can add to the discussion.

i worry how easy it is to open the gate Frankie would probably say as well how light the buttons need to be touched and not all of the way down to open the gate. They are amazing if speed and ease of opening was in mind when making them but has safety been pushed to one side for this, in order to sell a new karabiner.

when does it become too easy to open a gate, that it could be opened by accident unknowingly in a tree especially with new climbers

looks nice and great idea on the 2 buttons but i think to be totally safe it still needs that twist locking mechanism to support those issues that have been addressed so far, you could argue its only 2 way or 3 way depending if you view opening the gate as 1 way, the petzl ball lock is good and i myself have never had an issue with them, and it has the twist.......