These winds.... a tree question?

blades

Can anyone tell me please.... Do big trees that have taken a beating in these winds and perhaps become loose in the root area put out new roots or tighten up existing roots to grip better?? Or is it a case of once loosened by the wind the damage is done??

Thank you in advance

I believe they can cope pretty well and it can even be beneficial.

Apparently root aeration was first developed after the 87 storm.

There was a large Oak (I think it was) that had been in decline for may years, after the storm it had new vigour and looked better than it had in years.

Its thought that the soil was very compacted around its roots, the gail lifted the tree slightly and this loosened the soil allowing air around the roots.

This then led to the idea of injecting high-pressure air into compared soil around roots, which has proved very successful.

Obviously each tree is different and any tree that may have been affected should be inspected by an expert.

There was a large Oak (I think it was) that had been in decline for may years, after the storm it had new vigour and looked better than it had in years.

Its thought that the soil was very compacted around its roots, the gail lifted the tree slightly and this loosened the soil allowing air around the roots.

This then led to the idea of injecting high-pressure air into compared soil around roots, which has proved very successful.

Obviously each tree is different and any tree that may have been affected should be inspected by an expert.

Thats pretty cool, I'm going to remember that next time I want to impress a customer

The other factors here, in terms of the trees that have failed, is saturated ground, which effectively acts as a soil lubricant, and recent previous storms which may have comprimised root stability...hence a double, or triple, whammy.

Skyhuck, ('HPN', hope yer well!) was that the Cedar at Kew that you refer to which was exhibiting lowered vitality then rocked in the rootplate but sat back down and Kew staff only got to it much later and noticed its vitality had improved because, as you say, it had 'self-decompacted'...clever tree!

Cheers all.

Paul

The other factors here, in terms of the trees that have failed, is saturated ground, which effectively acts as a soil lubricant, and recent previous storms which may have comprimised root stability...hence a double, or triple, whammy.

Skyhuck, ('HPN', hope yer well!) was that the Cedar at Kew that you refer to which was exhibiting lowered vitality then rocked in the rootplate but sat back down and Kew staff only got to it much later and noticed its vitality had improved because, as you say, it had 'self-decompacted'...clever tree!

Cheers all.

Paul

Plus they mulched...mulched...mulched

Moving in the soil due to high winds isn't always a good thing- more often than not left to its own devices the tree has to be felled eventually as instability creates its own problems

I've been watching some big trees over the last few days and I honestly can't see how they stayed up. A big old ash which was pollarded (probably unintentionally) about 80 years ago by the look of it, standing on the brow of a hill, on a hedgetop. I can't imagine the forces going through that structure but it was pretty incredible. As it would have fallen into our field I was kind of having evil thoughts about next year's firewood supply....Incredible tree though.

Was going to post something similar. I know of a.few trees that seem to have increased in vigour since being partialy wind blown.

Cheers all.

Paul

Is was Kew, so could well have been the Cedar, I good thanks :001_smile:

You?????